Jun 20, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
The 2013-14 season is one filled with new beginning for Jim Boeheim’s Syracuse basketball program.
There’s the move from the Big East to the ACC, but there’s also the need to account for the departures of guards Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche and forward James Southerland.
Luckily for Syracuse, which won 30 games and reached the Final Four last season, the NCAA allows programs to take one offseason trip every four years.
The Orange will take advantage of this rule by trekking to Canada in August, leaving the States on August 20 and returning on the 25th.
Syracuse will play four games during its stay in Canada: two in Montreal (August 21 vs. Bishops University and August 22 vs. McGill University) and two in Ottawa (August 23 vs. Carleton University and August 24 vs. Ottawa University).
The game against Carleton will be played at ScotiaBank Place, which is the home arena of the Ottawa Senators.
Four players with starting experience return for the Orange, most notably senior forward C.J. Fair. This offseason is an important one for both Fair and rising sophomore Jerami Grant, as both will be asked to do even more offensively given the production lost from last season’s team.
In addition to the returnees Boeheim can use the four games (and ten practices before leaving) to work in a highly-regarded recruiting class led by point guard Tyler Ennis. With both Carter-Williams and Triche gone, Syracuse will need the St. Benedict’s Prep product (and Toronto native) to hit the ground running in their debut season in the ACC.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)