Jun 20, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
The 2013-14 season is one filled with new beginning for Jim Boeheim’s Syracuse basketball program.
There’s the move from the Big East to the ACC, but there’s also the need to account for the departures of guards Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche and forward James Southerland.
Luckily for Syracuse, which won 30 games and reached the Final Four last season, the NCAA allows programs to take one offseason trip every four years.
The Orange will take advantage of this rule by trekking to Canada in August, leaving the States on August 20 and returning on the 25th.
Syracuse will play four games during its stay in Canada: two in Montreal (August 21 vs. Bishops University and August 22 vs. McGill University) and two in Ottawa (August 23 vs. Carleton University and August 24 vs. Ottawa University).
The game against Carleton will be played at ScotiaBank Place, which is the home arena of the Ottawa Senators.
Four players with starting experience return for the Orange, most notably senior forward C.J. Fair. This offseason is an important one for both Fair and rising sophomore Jerami Grant, as both will be asked to do even more offensively given the production lost from last season’s team.
In addition to the returnees Boeheim can use the four games (and ten practices before leaving) to work in a highly-regarded recruiting class led by point guard Tyler Ennis. With both Carter-Williams and Triche gone, Syracuse will need the St. Benedict’s Prep product (and Toronto native) to hit the ground running in their debut season in the ACC.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)