Jun 21, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia rising senior guard Joe Harris was planning on taking part in training camp for the United States World University Games team beginning on June 24. The 12 players selected for the team will play in the World University Games July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia.
Unfortunately, Harris will not be one of the players taking part in the training camp.
The reason why? It was announced by Virginia that a stress reaction in Harris’ left foot has forced the First Team All-ACC selection to withdraw from the training camp. The injury is expected to sideline Harris anywhere from three to six weeks.
“Obviously, we are disappointed for Joe because he was really looking forward to this opportunity with USA Basketball,” Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said in the release. “Joe has worked really hard and he was excited about competing and measuring his game against some great players.
“His senior season and future professional career are the main priorities moving forward. We’ll ensure he gets the proper rest and rehabilitation, so he’ll be ready for the 2013-14 season.”
Harris averaged 16.3 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior, shooting 46.8% from the field and 42.5% from beyond the arc. Per Ken Pomeroy’s numbers, Harris ranked fourth in the ACC in offensive rating (111.6) among players who factored into at least 24% of their team’s possessions.
Obviously Harris is a key cog in the attack for the Cavaliers, who hope to return to the NCAA tournament after landing in the Postseason NIT last season. Virginia loses starting point guard Jontel Evans (graduation), but with Harris and forwards Justin Anderson, Akil Mitchell and Mike Tobey all returning to Charlottesville getting back to the Big Dance is a realistic goal.
In addition to the returnees mentioned above Virginia adds two point guard prospects in Devon Hall and London Perrantes, and sophomore Malcolm Brogdon returns after missing all of last season due to a broken bone in his left foot that proved to be more serious than originally thought.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)