Jun 21, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia rising senior guard Joe Harris was planning on taking part in training camp for the United States World University Games team beginning on June 24. The 12 players selected for the team will play in the World University Games July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia.
Unfortunately, Harris will not be one of the players taking part in the training camp.
The reason why? It was announced by Virginia that a stress reaction in Harris’ left foot has forced the First Team All-ACC selection to withdraw from the training camp. The injury is expected to sideline Harris anywhere from three to six weeks.
“Obviously, we are disappointed for Joe because he was really looking forward to this opportunity with USA Basketball,” Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said in the release. “Joe has worked really hard and he was excited about competing and measuring his game against some great players.
“His senior season and future professional career are the main priorities moving forward. We’ll ensure he gets the proper rest and rehabilitation, so he’ll be ready for the 2013-14 season.”
Harris averaged 16.3 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior, shooting 46.8% from the field and 42.5% from beyond the arc. Per Ken Pomeroy’s numbers, Harris ranked fourth in the ACC in offensive rating (111.6) among players who factored into at least 24% of their team’s possessions.
Obviously Harris is a key cog in the attack for the Cavaliers, who hope to return to the NCAA tournament after landing in the Postseason NIT last season. Virginia loses starting point guard Jontel Evans (graduation), but with Harris and forwards Justin Anderson, Akil Mitchell and Mike Tobey all returning to Charlottesville getting back to the Big Dance is a realistic goal.
In addition to the returnees mentioned above Virginia adds two point guard prospects in Devon Hall and London Perrantes, and sophomore Malcolm Brogdon returns after missing all of last season due to a broken bone in his left foot that proved to be more serious than originally thought.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)