Jun 21, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia rising senior guard Joe Harris was planning on taking part in training camp for the United States World University Games team beginning on June 24. The 12 players selected for the team will play in the World University Games July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia.
Unfortunately, Harris will not be one of the players taking part in the training camp.
The reason why? It was announced by Virginia that a stress reaction in Harris’ left foot has forced the First Team All-ACC selection to withdraw from the training camp. The injury is expected to sideline Harris anywhere from three to six weeks.
“Obviously, we are disappointed for Joe because he was really looking forward to this opportunity with USA Basketball,” Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said in the release. “Joe has worked really hard and he was excited about competing and measuring his game against some great players.
“His senior season and future professional career are the main priorities moving forward. We’ll ensure he gets the proper rest and rehabilitation, so he’ll be ready for the 2013-14 season.”
Harris averaged 16.3 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior, shooting 46.8% from the field and 42.5% from beyond the arc. Per Ken Pomeroy’s numbers, Harris ranked fourth in the ACC in offensive rating (111.6) among players who factored into at least 24% of their team’s possessions.
Obviously Harris is a key cog in the attack for the Cavaliers, who hope to return to the NCAA tournament after landing in the Postseason NIT last season. Virginia loses starting point guard Jontel Evans (graduation), but with Harris and forwards Justin Anderson, Akil Mitchell and Mike Tobey all returning to Charlottesville getting back to the Big Dance is a realistic goal.
In addition to the returnees mentioned above Virginia adds two point guard prospects in Devon Hall and London Perrantes, and sophomore Malcolm Brogdon returns after missing all of last season due to a broken bone in his left foot that proved to be more serious than originally thought.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 2
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)