Jun 21, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
In the aftermath of North Carolina guard P.J. Hairston’s arrest on charges of possession of marijuana and driving without a license, many have asked two important questions that have yet to be answered.
Who rented the car Hairston was driving from Hertz? Also, who was the owner of the gun found outside of the vehicle?
Law enforcement officials have yet to divulge the answer to either of those questions, and it may be a while before we learn anything more about the criminal aspects of the case.
However, in other news involving Hairston the NCAA has begun to investigate the relationship between Hairston and NBA agent Rodney Blackstock according to Big Lead Sports. According to the story both Hairston and Blackstock, who are both natives of Greensboro, have known each other for years.
What adds to the intrigue is the fact that this isn’t the first time in recent months that Blackstock’s name has come up in regards to a relationship with a talented college basketball player:
Blackstock was in the news recently when it was revealed that he paid the AAU coach of Kansas star Ben McLemore thousands of dollars “on behalf of sports agents and financial advisers” who were courting McLemore.
Could the NCAA looking into the relationship between Hairston and Blackstock eventually lead to answering of the rental car question? Yes, but that could also be learned by way of the police investigation that’s also ongoing.
What could be at stake (if the NCAA finds anything of consequence) is Hairston’s eligibility for the 2013-14 season, one in which the Tar Heels will rely on him to be their primary perimeter scoring option with Reggie Bullock having entered the NBA Draft.
But even with the NCAA sniffing around, his eligibility for the upcoming season is the least of Hairston’s concerns with that legal case still open.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)