Jun 21, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
With the formation of a quadruple-header to be played at American Airlines Arena in Dallas on November 8, college basketball will have a season-opening event of sorts with the idea of playing on aircraft carriers losing steam due to weather issues that forced the cancellation of two games and the postponement of a third.
The three games that are certain to happen in Dallas are Baylor vs. Colorado, SMU vs. TCU and Alabama vs. Oklahoma. LSU vs. Texas was supposed to be on the docket as well, but according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.com on Thursday the Longhorns may be pulling out of the event.
While there’s no official report that Texas will withdraw from the event, the two programs certainly look to be headed in opposite directions. Texas will once again be a young team in 2013-14, and given the number of departures head coach Rick Barnes could have a tough time pushing his team up the Big 12 pecking order.
As for LSU, second-year head coach Johnny Jones has put together an incoming class that includes two very good front court players in Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey. There’s also the return of key contributors such as forwards Johnny O’Bryant III and Shavon Coleman to take into consideration. On paper the Tigers have the pieces needed to make a push for an NCAA tournament berth.
According to King two of the possibilities for a replacement are Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, and if the Aggies were to fill the open spot there would be changes to the slate of games since they’re also an SEC member.
If the Cowboys were to replace Texas, that would make for an enticing season-opening matchup as Travis Ford’s team is expected to contend for a Big 12 title with Marcus Smart, Le’Bryan Nash and Markel Brown all returning to Stillwater.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1