Jun 21, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
With the formation of a quadruple-header to be played at American Airlines Arena in Dallas on November 8, college basketball will have a season-opening event of sorts with the idea of playing on aircraft carriers losing steam due to weather issues that forced the cancellation of two games and the postponement of a third.
The three games that are certain to happen in Dallas are Baylor vs. Colorado, SMU vs. TCU and Alabama vs. Oklahoma. LSU vs. Texas was supposed to be on the docket as well, but according to a report from Jason King of ESPN.com on Thursday the Longhorns may be pulling out of the event.
While there’s no official report that Texas will withdraw from the event, the two programs certainly look to be headed in opposite directions. Texas will once again be a young team in 2013-14, and given the number of departures head coach Rick Barnes could have a tough time pushing his team up the Big 12 pecking order.
As for LSU, second-year head coach Johnny Jones has put together an incoming class that includes two very good front court players in Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey. There’s also the return of key contributors such as forwards Johnny O’Bryant III and Shavon Coleman to take into consideration. On paper the Tigers have the pieces needed to make a push for an NCAA tournament berth.
According to King two of the possibilities for a replacement are Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, and if the Aggies were to fill the open spot there would be changes to the slate of games since they’re also an SEC member.
If the Cowboys were to replace Texas, that would make for an enticing season-opening matchup as Travis Ford’s team is expected to contend for a Big 12 title with Marcus Smart, Le’Bryan Nash and Markel Brown all returning to Stillwater.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)