Jun 21, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
UCF head coach Donnie Jones has led the Knights to three straight 20-win seasons since arriving at the school in 2010, most recently posting a record of 20-11 (9-7 Conference USA) while saddled with a one-year postseason ban.
Jones’ reward: a contract extension through 2018 according to the Orlando Sentinel. Jones originally had two years remaining on his original contact.
Terms have yet to be released, but the move shows the administration’s willingness to allow Jones and his staff to lead the UCF program into the American Athletic Conference. In addition to the postseason ban that came as a result of NCAA violations Jones was hit with a three-year show cause penalty.
The Knights return the majority of their key contributors from last year’s 20-win team and hope to have an impact in their debut season, but they’ll have to account for the graduation of forward Keith Clanton.
The versatile Isaiah Sykes (he led the team in points, steals and assists), forward Tristan Spurlock and guard Calvin Newell Jr. are three of the players expected to lead UCF in 2013-14. UCF will also enjoy the luxury of having some depth at point guard, which was not the case in 2012-13.
Incoming freshman Brandon Goodwin joins sophomore Daiquan Walker at the position, while both Newell Jr. and Sykes have the ability to create for teammates as well.
While 2013-14 is certainly an important year for UCF basketball when it comes to how they adjust to the new conference, it’s also important in regards to building a program that can consistently contend in the American.
Cincinnati, UConn and Memphis are expected to be the standard-bearers for the American (Temple should also factor into the equation), but the departure of Louisville opens the door for another program to join that group.
Can Jones take UCF to that level? With a new contract in tow, he’ll be expected to do just that.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)