Jun 21, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
With Jerrance Howard making the move to join Bill Self’s staff at Kansas, SMU head coach Larry Brown had a vacancy to fill. He’s officially done so, as SMU officially announced the hiring of former Wichita State assistant K.T. Turner.
The news that Turner would join Brown’s staff was reported by multiple outlets earlier in the week.
Turner spent one season at Wichita State but it was a successful one, as the Shockers went 30-9 and reached the Final Four. And with Howard being a valuable recruiter for the SMU program, Turner will certainly need to have an impact in that department.
Turner has coaching experience at both the Division I and junior college levels, with stops at places such as Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. Turner joins associate head coach Tim Jankovich and Ulric Maligi on the SMU coaching staff, with Jankovich in line to be Brown’s successor whenever the head coach decides to retire.
With five starters returning and the addition of a solid recruiting class headlined by McDonald’s All-American Keith Frazier, SMU won’t enter the American Athletic Conference with an empty cupboard this fall.
SMU also adds three transfers in point guard Nic Moore (Illinois State), shooting guard Crandall Head (Illinois) and power forward Markus Kennedy (Villanova), with the former being a Missouri Valley All-Freshman Team selection in his lone season at Illinois State.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)