Jun 22, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Many enter their college lives hearing about the dreaded “Freshman 15″ — the weight that college freshman sometimes add due to the freedom to eat and drink whatever they please once they leave home.
Most dread gaining the potential weight associated with the “Freshman 15″ but for Arizona freshman shooting guard Elliot Pitts, adding that weight will become a necessity.
According to a story from the Arizona Daily Star, Pitts arrived on the Tuscon campus three weeks ago standing at 6-foot-5 but weighing only 170 pounds. In the physical landscape of major college basketball, a 170-pound two-guard simply isn’t going to cut it and when Pitts turned 18 last week, he was probably encouraged to take a few extra pieces of birthday cake.
Thankfully, after three weeks on campus, Pitts seems to be turning a bit of a corner and Arizona head coach Sean Miller is excited about his future.
“That’s very light,” UA coach Sean Miller said.So, with Pitts on campus for just three weeks so far, the Wildcats have him up to about 175 already and the freshman shooting guard is expected to put on even more in the weeks to come.“He checked into college as a 17-year-old,” Miller said Thursday. “With that, you know there’s a lot of upside. … His growth through the next three or four months will be fun to watch.”
Pitts is being joined on campus for the first summer session by fellow newcomer and Kansas transfer Zach Peters. McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon and another freshman forward — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson — are both participating on the USA U19 Trials — with Gordon making the team — and are expected to join the Wildcats during the second summer session in July.
Pitts could be counted on for bench minutes at the guard spot if he continues his development — especially early in the season during nonconference play before the conference play of the Pac 12 becomes more physically demanding.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)