Jun 22, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
A recent article from Sports Media Watch told us something we already knew: the Final Four is great television, and hugely popular.
According to the site, the recent, thrilling NBA finals came in second in viewership in the all-important demographic of males aged 18-49, with an average 7.1 rating over the seven-game series. The Final Four was numero uno in live sports.
In a way, this is kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison. The Final Four is three single-elimination games, while the NBA Finals can be anywhere from four to seven games, with elimination not even a possibility over the first three contests. The stakes are rather different in that respect.
Still, it has to be interesting to hoops fans to note that both events finished higher than the five BCS Bowl games. The Final Four was tabbed with a 11.4 rating, and an unofficial average of 18.2 million viewers. The BCS games drew an 8.8 with 15.1 million sets of eyeballs trained toward football.
The comparison is a bit of a chimera, but interesting nonetheless. While your average regular-season football contest out of the Big Ten or SEC will whoop just about any college hoops game you can imagine, basketball purists can rest assured that our postseason is still the best thing in sports – the numbers back us up on that.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)