Jun 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Arguably the two biggest stories of the college basketball offseason collided on Friday afternoon when The Big Lead broke the news that the NCAA was investigating a potential link between PJ Hairston and Rodney Blackstock.
Hairston, North Carolina’s leading scorer a season ago, was arrested earlier this month when he was pulled over in a rented SUV driving on a suspended license with 43 grams of weed in the car. A gun was found outside the car, but it is unclear who that gun belonged to. Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, is the runner at center of the Ben McLemore scandal.
On Friday night, UNC AD Bubba Cunningham confirmed to the Raleigh News & Observer that the school is aware of connection and have been in touch with NCAA officials about the case.
“We’ve been aware of the McLemore-Blackstock case since May 4,” Cunningham told the paper. May 4th is the day that USA Today broke the story about the connection between Blackstock and McLemore. “And we’ve been doing research and finding as much information about that situation as we can to ensure that we don’t have any issues associated with that.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)