Jun 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Arguably the two biggest stories of the college basketball offseason collided on Friday afternoon when The Big Lead broke the news that the NCAA was investigating a potential link between PJ Hairston and Rodney Blackstock.
Hairston, North Carolina’s leading scorer a season ago, was arrested earlier this month when he was pulled over in a rented SUV driving on a suspended license with 43 grams of weed in the car. A gun was found outside the car, but it is unclear who that gun belonged to. Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, is the runner at center of the Ben McLemore scandal.
On Friday night, UNC AD Bubba Cunningham confirmed to the Raleigh News & Observer that the school is aware of connection and have been in touch with NCAA officials about the case.
“We’ve been aware of the McLemore-Blackstock case since May 4,” Cunningham told the paper. May 4th is the day that USA Today broke the story about the connection between Blackstock and McLemore. “And we’ve been doing research and finding as much information about that situation as we can to ensure that we don’t have any issues associated with that.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)