Jun 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
Arguably the two biggest stories of the college basketball offseason collided on Friday afternoon when The Big Lead broke the news that the NCAA was investigating a potential link between PJ Hairston and Rodney Blackstock.
Hairston, North Carolina’s leading scorer a season ago, was arrested earlier this month when he was pulled over in a rented SUV driving on a suspended license with 43 grams of weed in the car. A gun was found outside the car, but it is unclear who that gun belonged to. Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, is the runner at center of the Ben McLemore scandal.
On Friday night, UNC AD Bubba Cunningham confirmed to the Raleigh News & Observer that the school is aware of connection and have been in touch with NCAA officials about the case.
“We’ve been aware of the McLemore-Blackstock case since May 4,” Cunningham told the paper. May 4th is the day that USA Today broke the story about the connection between Blackstock and McLemore. “And we’ve been doing research and finding as much information about that situation as we can to ensure that we don’t have any issues associated with that.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)