Jun 23, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
With its top three scorers from last season all deciding to return for the 2013-14 season, Oklahoma State’s offseason was already off to a good start.
On Sunday evening things got even better for head coach Travis Ford and his staff, as 6-5 shooting guard Austin Grandstaff (Plano, Tex.) verbally committed to attend the school.
Grandstaff, a member of the Class of 2015, announced his decision to attend Oklahoma State via Twitter.
Grandstaff has visited Oklahoma State on two separate occasions, and he informed Ford of his decision after a trip to Stillwater this weekend. In an interview with Evan Daniels of Scout.com, Grandstaff cited his relationship with Ford, the system and the facilities as two reasons for his decision.
Widely considered to be one of the top shooting guards in the 2015 class, Grandstaff averaged 12.2 points per game for Team Texas Elite during Nike EYBL play this spring. Grandstaff played the first half of this past high school season at Rockwall (Tex.) High before transferring to Huntington Prep. Homesickness would lead to Grandstaff making the move back to Texas, attending Shepton High School for the remainder of the school year.
Given the potential losses Oklahoma State could suffer on the perimeter after the 2013-14 campaign (Markel Brown’s a senior and Marcus Smart could be a lottery selection), coach Ford and his staff can certainly use the additional bodies.
Grandstaff won’t be a member of the program for another two years, but his commitment is certainly a positive development for Oklahoma State.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4