Jun 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
In the early hours of Saturday morning, Isaiah Cousins was arrested for public intoxication and interfering with a police officer, according to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office in Norman, OK.
Cousins, a point guard on the Oklahoma men’s basketball team, just finished his freshman year with the Sooners. He started several games early in the season, and averaged 2.7 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game.
Lon Kruger released an early statement on the matter, according to NewsOK.com: “We’re aware of the situation involving Isaiah Cousins last night. Isaiah feels badly about the incident, will learn from it and move on. The matter will be handled internally.”
While the details of the situation are largely unknown, this is similar to what happened to Oklahoma sophomore quarterback Kendal Thompson about a month ago. According to a USA Today report:
…officers responding to a complaint about a loud party found Thompson asleep on a grass hill outside an apartment complex. Upon waking Thompson up, the officer observed that he smelled like alcohol, didn’t make sense when he spoke and attempted to walk away against the officer’s orders, according to the affidavit.
Chalk this up as college kids partying and carrying on too much, while not respecting the authorities? Most likely. But, again, the details of Cousins’ arrest are limited.
Oklahoma men’s basketball embarks on a 10-day trip to Europe in August. Will Cousins join the team on this trip? That remains to be seen as it all depends on how head coach Lon Kruger elects to punish Cousins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)