Jun 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
In the early hours of Saturday morning, Isaiah Cousins was arrested for public intoxication and interfering with a police officer, according to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office in Norman, OK.
Cousins, a point guard on the Oklahoma men’s basketball team, just finished his freshman year with the Sooners. He started several games early in the season, and averaged 2.7 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game.
Lon Kruger released an early statement on the matter, according to NewsOK.com: “We’re aware of the situation involving Isaiah Cousins last night. Isaiah feels badly about the incident, will learn from it and move on. The matter will be handled internally.”
While the details of the situation are largely unknown, this is similar to what happened to Oklahoma sophomore quarterback Kendal Thompson about a month ago. According to a USA Today report:
…officers responding to a complaint about a loud party found Thompson asleep on a grass hill outside an apartment complex. Upon waking Thompson up, the officer observed that he smelled like alcohol, didn’t make sense when he spoke and attempted to walk away against the officer’s orders, according to the affidavit.
Chalk this up as college kids partying and carrying on too much, while not respecting the authorities? Most likely. But, again, the details of Cousins’ arrest are limited.
Oklahoma men’s basketball embarks on a 10-day trip to Europe in August. Will Cousins join the team on this trip? That remains to be seen as it all depends on how head coach Lon Kruger elects to punish Cousins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)