Jun 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
In the early hours of Saturday morning, Isaiah Cousins was arrested for public intoxication and interfering with a police officer, according to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office in Norman, OK.
Cousins, a point guard on the Oklahoma men’s basketball team, just finished his freshman year with the Sooners. He started several games early in the season, and averaged 2.7 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game.
Lon Kruger released an early statement on the matter, according to NewsOK.com: “We’re aware of the situation involving Isaiah Cousins last night. Isaiah feels badly about the incident, will learn from it and move on. The matter will be handled internally.”
While the details of the situation are largely unknown, this is similar to what happened to Oklahoma sophomore quarterback Kendal Thompson about a month ago. According to a USA Today report:
…officers responding to a complaint about a loud party found Thompson asleep on a grass hill outside an apartment complex. Upon waking Thompson up, the officer observed that he smelled like alcohol, didn’t make sense when he spoke and attempted to walk away against the officer’s orders, according to the affidavit.
Chalk this up as college kids partying and carrying on too much, while not respecting the authorities? Most likely. But, again, the details of Cousins’ arrest are limited.
Oklahoma men’s basketball embarks on a 10-day trip to Europe in August. Will Cousins join the team on this trip? That remains to be seen as it all depends on how head coach Lon Kruger elects to punish Cousins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)