Jun 23, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Between Richard Pitino accepting the head coaching job at Minnesota and the school learning that low APR numbers may result in a postseason ban for the 2013-14 season, the offseason hasn’t been a smooth one for the FIU basketball program.
New head coach Anthony Evans has made an addition to the roster, as it was reported by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com on Sunday that former Kansas State forward Adrian Diaz will transfer to the school. In two seasons at Kansas State, the 6-10 Miami native played just nine minutes per game and averaged three points and two rebounds per game.
With the move Diaz becomes the second former Wildcat to transfer to a school located in Miami, as point guard Angel Rodriguez is now a Miami Hurricane.
FIU has lost its second-leading scorer from last season (guard Malik Smith, who is transferring to Minnesota) and three recruits who were talented enough to make the move from the Sun Belt to Conference USA a smooth one.
The good news for Evans (at this point) is that leading scorer Tymell Murphy (14.6 ppg, 6.8 rpg) and promising forward Jerome Frink (10.2, 6.3) are both expected to return, but the Panthers are still lacking in the depth department.
Diaz likely won’t be able to help FIU immediately due to NCAA transfer rules, but his commitment gives the Panthers some much-needed front court size for the future.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)