Jun 24, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
New Stephen F. Austin coach Brad Underwood has added to his coaching staff heading into his first season at the helm.
Erik Pastrana, who has spent the past season as an assistant at Northwest Florida State College, has taken a spot on the Lumberjacks’ staff, the school announced.
“We’re very excited to be adding Erik to our staff,” Underwood said. “He’ll be joining two experienced coaches and will add a great dimension to our staff, especially in recruiting. Erik is one of the up and coming stars in our industry and has great ties to the Florida area. We feel strongly about his ability to bring talent here.”
The job is Pastrana’s first as a full-fledged assistant at the Division I level. He spent the 2011-12 season at Labette (Kan.) Community College and also spent time coaching on the AAU circuit as well. He served as a graduate assistant at Kansas State after attended Florida State as an undergrad.
This is good hire for Underwood and a program like the Lumberjacks. The team’s roster last season featured five junior college players, and Pastrana obviously has solid roots in the JuCo ranks — the Raiders made the NJCAA National Championship game last season and Northwest Florida routinely sends multiple players to mid-and-high major Division I programs yearly. Pastrana also helped develop last year’s Junior College National Player of the Year Chris Jones, whom signed with Louisville.
(Photo courtesy of Stephen F. Austin University.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)