Jun 25, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Following a 18-14 season in 2012-2013, Air Force Academy head coach Dave Pilipovich will receive a five-year extension. It is expected to be officially announced sometime this week.
Dan Wolken of USA Today was the first to report this news, receiving information from someone with knowledge of the situation, though requested anonymity. Jeff Goodman of ESPN later reported the news after confirming it with a source.
Pilipovich took over the program in February 2012 under a interim basis after Jeff Reynolds was relieved of his duties. Less than a month later, Pilipovich the interim label was removed. He had served as an assistant coach for five years before the start of his first full season as head coach this past fall.
The Falcons finished 8-8 in the Mountain West Conference, which was good for sixth place, trailing five NCAA tournament teams. Pilipovich was able to lead Air Force to wins over Boise State, San Diego State (ranked 22nd at the time), UNLV and New Mexico — ranked 12th at the time) during the his first full season. He also got Air Force into a postseason tournament, making it to the second round of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)