Jun 25, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Following a 18-14 season in 2012-2013, Air Force Academy head coach Dave Pilipovich will receive a five-year extension. It is expected to be officially announced sometime this week.
Dan Wolken of USA Today was the first to report this news, receiving information from someone with knowledge of the situation, though requested anonymity. Jeff Goodman of ESPN later reported the news after confirming it with a source.
Pilipovich took over the program in February 2012 under a interim basis after Jeff Reynolds was relieved of his duties. Less than a month later, Pilipovich the interim label was removed. He had served as an assistant coach for five years before the start of his first full season as head coach this past fall.
The Falcons finished 8-8 in the Mountain West Conference, which was good for sixth place, trailing five NCAA tournament teams. Pilipovich was able to lead Air Force to wins over Boise State, San Diego State (ranked 22nd at the time), UNLV and New Mexico — ranked 12th at the time) during the his first full season. He also got Air Force into a postseason tournament, making it to the second round of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)