Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
With a talented five-member recruiting class joining the program this summer, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams has the pieces needed to contend for a Big East title. On Wednesday, the Marquette program landed its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class.
6-7 combo forward Malek Harris (Orland Park, Ill.) verbally committed to attend Marquette (subscription required), as first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. Harris would later announce the news himself via Twitter.
Harris can be a factor at either forward position due to his size and skill, and his versatility is a trait that has been of high value at Marquette during Williams’ tenure as head coach.
Harris made the decision while on an unofficial visit to Marquette, which made landing Harris a priority throughout the recruiting process. In an interview with Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops, Harris noted Williams’ straightforward nature in discussing why he committed to Marquette.
“I chose MU because I love it. I had a gut feeling about it from the start, but I really wanted to get down here and sit down face to face with Buzz (Williams). He didn’t sell me a dream. He told me the truth. I can’t wait for him to be my future head coach!”
Harris could potentially join a front court in 2014 that includes 2013 newcomers Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay, not to mention returnees Juan Anderson and Steve Taylor Jr. That’s not a bad group to have if you’re Marquette.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)