Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
With a talented five-member recruiting class joining the program this summer, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams has the pieces needed to contend for a Big East title. On Wednesday, the Marquette program landed its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class.
6-7 combo forward Malek Harris (Orland Park, Ill.) verbally committed to attend Marquette (subscription required), as first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. Harris would later announce the news himself via Twitter.
Harris can be a factor at either forward position due to his size and skill, and his versatility is a trait that has been of high value at Marquette during Williams’ tenure as head coach.
Harris made the decision while on an unofficial visit to Marquette, which made landing Harris a priority throughout the recruiting process. In an interview with Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops, Harris noted Williams’ straightforward nature in discussing why he committed to Marquette.
“I chose MU because I love it. I had a gut feeling about it from the start, but I really wanted to get down here and sit down face to face with Buzz (Williams). He didn’t sell me a dream. He told me the truth. I can’t wait for him to be my future head coach!”
Harris could potentially join a front court in 2014 that includes 2013 newcomers Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay, not to mention returnees Juan Anderson and Steve Taylor Jr. That’s not a bad group to have if you’re Marquette.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)