Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
With a talented five-member recruiting class joining the program this summer, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams has the pieces needed to contend for a Big East title. On Wednesday, the Marquette program landed its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class.
6-7 combo forward Malek Harris (Orland Park, Ill.) verbally committed to attend Marquette (subscription required), as first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. Harris would later announce the news himself via Twitter.
Harris can be a factor at either forward position due to his size and skill, and his versatility is a trait that has been of high value at Marquette during Williams’ tenure as head coach.
officially committed to Marquette to be a Golden Eagle!!!!—
Malek Harris (@24_MoneyTeam_10) June 26, 2013
Harris made the decision while on an unofficial visit to Marquette, which made landing Harris a priority throughout the recruiting process. In an interview with Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops, Harris noted Williams’ straightforward nature in discussing why he committed to Marquette.
“I chose MU because I love it. I had a gut feeling about it from the start, but I really wanted to get down here and sit down face to face with Buzz (Williams). He didn’t sell me a dream. He told me the truth. I can’t wait for him to be my future head coach!”
Harris could potentially join a front court in 2014 that includes 2013 newcomers Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay, not to mention returnees Juan Anderson and Steve Taylor Jr. That’s not a bad group to have if you’re Marquette.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 0
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)