Jun 26, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
USA Basketball announced the 16 players who remain in contention for the 12 roster spots on this summer’s World University Games team, with standouts such as Creighton’s Doug McDermott and Cincinnati’s Sean Kilpatrick on the list.
The training camp will conclude on June 30, with USA Basketball announcing the 12-player roster shortly thereafter. The World University Games begin on July 7, taking place in Kazan, Russia.
“The effort of this group was unbelievable, and it was very tough to get down,” chair of the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee Jim Boeheim said in the release.
“Usually, it’s pretty easy to get down to 16. It was not easy with this group. It was very difficult. Guys were very, very close in a two-day tryout. Another day, and it might have been a couple of different guys in there, but you have to take the guys that played the best, and those 16 played the best.”
The 16 players who remain are:
G Spencer Dinwiddie (Colorado/Woodland Hills, Calif.)
G Yogi Ferrell (Indiana/Indianapolis, Ind.)
F/C Davante Gardner (Marquette/Suffolk, Va.)
G Treveon Graham (VCU/Temple Hills, Md.)
G Jerian Grant (Notre Dame/Bowie, Md.)
G/F Luke Hancock (Louisville/ Roanoke, Va.)
G Tyler Haws (BYU/Alpine, Utah)
F Rodney Hood (Duke/Meridian, Miss.)
F/C Cory Jefferson (Baylor/ Killeen, Texas)
G Sean Kilpatrick (Cincinnati/Yonkers, N.Y.)
C Alex Kirk (New Mexico/Los Alamos, N.M.)
F Doug McDermott (Creighton/Ames, Iowa)
F Adreian Payne (Michigan State/Dayton, Ohio)
G Chasson Randle (Stanford/Rock Island, Ill.)
F Will Sheehey (Indiana/Stuart, Fla.)
F Aaron White (Iowa/Strongsville, Ohio)
The United States begins World University Games play against the United Arab Emirates on July 7, and the other teams in Group C are Australia, Canada, Czech Republic and Sweden.
Davidson head coach Bob McKillop is the head coach for the United States, and he’ll be assisted by Michigan’s John Beilein and South Carolina’s Frank Martin.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)