Jun 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
With assistant coach Mark Madsen leaving the program to take over as head coach of the Los Angeles D-fenders of the NBA D-League, Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins had a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
Dawkins has found a replacement and an experienced one at that, as Stanford announced on Wednesday that Tim O’Toole will join the coaching staff. O’Toole, who spent last season as the director of basketball operations at Syracuse, has two decades of experience as both an assistant and head coach at the college level.
Prior to rejoining Jim Boeheim at Syracuse (O’Toole served as an assistant at Syracuse from 1991-95), O’Toole spent six seasons as a television analyst at both ESPN and SNY and a color commentator on St. John’s radio broadcasts.
“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to join Johnny’s staff and work for such a tremendous institution,” O’Toole said in the release announcing the move. “I have been blessed in my career to have the fortune of working at elite academic institutions while coaching under Hall of Fame mentors.
“I have known Johnny for 20 years, respect him greatly and believe in him whole-heartedly. Johnny has always been committed to excellence and Stanford is an incredible institution that represents excellence. I am grateful to be a part of the program and equally excited about the direction we are headed.”
O’Toole and Dawkins’ paths briefly intersected when the latter joined the Duke coaching staff after Tommy Amaker took the head coaching job at Seton Hall in 1997. O’Toole would join Amaker’s staff at Seton Hall a few weeks later.
O’Toole joins a program that won’t lack for talent in 2013-14, with forwards Josh Huestis and Dwight Powell and guards Aaron Bright and Chasson Randle all returning. There’s also the return of key reserve Anthony Brown, who missed all of last season due to a hip injury.
The Cardinal finished last season with a 19-15 record (9-9 Pac-12), losing to Alabama in the second round of the Postseason NIT.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)