Jun 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
With Jaquan Lyle verbally committing to attend Louisville on Wednesday, many felt that decision would impact the thinking of Jacksonville, Fla. (Arlington Country Day) shooting guard Brandone Francis.
On Thursday Francis made his decision, with it being reported by multiple outlets that he has verbally committed to attend Florida.
Francis, a Top 30 prospect in the eyes of many scouting services, joins point guard Chris Chiozza in Billy Donovan’s 2014 recruiting class. Whether the Gators have two or three newcomers on the perimeter in 2014 depends on the status of Rutgers transfer Eli Carter, who may pursue a waiver to be eligible to play immediately based on the circumstances surrounding his decision to transfer.
In recent weeks Louisville and Florida emerged as the two programs pursuing Francis the hardest, with the guard rising up the rankings due to his play in the spring. Francis’ versatility will allow coach Donovan to use him in a variety of ways once he arrives in Gainesville.
After the 2013-14 season the Gators will lose guard Scottie Wilbekin and wing Casey Prather, and that doesn’t account for possible early departures to the NBA (Kasey Hill?), so landing Francis is certainly a positive development for the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)