Jun 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
With Jaquan Lyle verbally committing to attend Louisville on Wednesday, many felt that decision would impact the thinking of Jacksonville, Fla. (Arlington Country Day) shooting guard Brandone Francis.
On Thursday Francis made his decision, with it being reported by multiple outlets that he has verbally committed to attend Florida.
Francis, a Top 30 prospect in the eyes of many scouting services, joins point guard Chris Chiozza in Billy Donovan’s 2014 recruiting class. Whether the Gators have two or three newcomers on the perimeter in 2014 depends on the status of Rutgers transfer Eli Carter, who may pursue a waiver to be eligible to play immediately based on the circumstances surrounding his decision to transfer.
In recent weeks Louisville and Florida emerged as the two programs pursuing Francis the hardest, with the guard rising up the rankings due to his play in the spring. Francis’ versatility will allow coach Donovan to use him in a variety of ways once he arrives in Gainesville.
After the 2013-14 season the Gators will lose guard Scottie Wilbekin and wing Casey Prather, and that doesn’t account for possible early departures to the NBA (Kasey Hill?), so landing Francis is certainly a positive development for the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)