Jun 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
With Jaquan Lyle verbally committing to attend Louisville on Wednesday, many felt that decision would impact the thinking of Jacksonville, Fla. (Arlington Country Day) shooting guard Brandone Francis.
On Thursday Francis made his decision, with it being reported by multiple outlets that he has verbally committed to attend Florida.
Francis, a Top 30 prospect in the eyes of many scouting services, joins point guard Chris Chiozza in Billy Donovan’s 2014 recruiting class. Whether the Gators have two or three newcomers on the perimeter in 2014 depends on the status of Rutgers transfer Eli Carter, who may pursue a waiver to be eligible to play immediately based on the circumstances surrounding his decision to transfer.
In recent weeks Louisville and Florida emerged as the two programs pursuing Francis the hardest, with the guard rising up the rankings due to his play in the spring. Francis’ versatility will allow coach Donovan to use him in a variety of ways once he arrives in Gainesville.
After the 2013-14 season the Gators will lose guard Scottie Wilbekin and wing Casey Prather, and that doesn’t account for possible early departures to the NBA (Kasey Hill?), so landing Francis is certainly a positive development for the program.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)