Jun 27, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Before Thursday night a UNLV player had not been selected in the NBA Draft since Marcus Banks was picked 13th overall by the Memphis Grizzlies (and then traded to Boston) in the 2003 NBA Draft.
That streak came to an end, as the Cleveland Cavaliers made forward Anthony Bennett the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft. Not only does Bennett end that streak, but he also joins Larry Johnson (1991) as the second player in UNLV history to be the top pick in the NBA Draft.
And given the comparisons made during Bennett’s one season in Las Vegas, it may be fitting that he was the first to hear his name called Thursday night.
Johnson was the only Rebel to go No. 1 overall when the Charlotte Hornets took him first in the 1991 draft. Since the day he committed to UNLV, Bennett couldn’t escape comparisons to Johnson, another brick house forward who could stretch the defense.
It was never fair because Johnson came to UNLV as a junior and Bennett was a much better outside shooter even while playing at Findlay Prep. But that didn’t stop fans from making the connection and now that they’re linked as top picks it’s only going to intensify.
With Bennett being the top pick in this year’s draft, could Canada claim the top spot two years in a row with Andrew Wiggins being a possibility in 2014? Only time will tell as there’s still plenty of basketball to be played between tonight and next June.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)