Jun 27, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
After averaging more than 11 points per game as a sophomore, Texas guard Julien Lewis made the decision to transfer with the hope that he’ll be even more successful at another institution.
In the midst of the NBA Draft it was learned where Lewis will transfer to, as Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston reported that Lewis will move on to Fresno State. After sitting out the 2013-14 season Lewis will have two years of eligibility remaining.
“I’m going to Fresno State,” Lewis told Berman. “It feels real good getting that off my back. Now I can go and start my new journey, getting back to work again and making things happen for the school.”
Lewis won’t be able to help the Bulldogs in game action this season, but he joins a program that currently has just two other upperclassmen in guards Allen Huddleston and Tyler Johnson.
Fresno State did lose Kevin Olekaibe as the guard made the decision to transfer to UNLV in order to be closer to his ailing father, but the Bulldogs do welcome Oklahoma State transfer Cesar Guerrero and three newcomers including forwards Soma Edo and Paul Watson.
With rising sophomores Braeden Anderson and Robert Upshaw having a full offseason to work with the coaching staff, the hope is that Fresno State can be one of the most improved teams in the Mountain West next season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 0
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 9
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)