Jun 27, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Expected to be a contender in the MAAC last season due to their frenetic style of play and the presence of one of the league’s best scorers in George Beamon, the Manhattan Jaspers encountered multiple bumps in the road in 2012-13.
Beamon was lost for the season due to an ankle injury and he was just one of the players on Steve Masiello’s team that had to deal with injuries. As a result the Jaspers had to augment their style of play, playing at a slower tempo that ultimately resulted in a 9-9 conference record and a spot in the MAAC tournament title game.
Manhattan lost that contest by three points to rival Iona, but the team has a bright future ahead of it with the return of four starters (not including Beamon) and the addition of a few talented newcomers.
On Wednesday the school announced plans for a summer trip to the Bahamas, with the program leaving for Nassau on July 31 and playing three games before returning to the States on August 6.
“This is a great opportunity for our team to prepare for the upcoming season,” Masiello said in the release. “It’s a chance to play against outside competition and an opportunity for our young men to gain an outstanding cultural experience out of the country and create more of a family environment.”
Manhattan welcomes back one of the MAAC’s best forwards in Rhamel Brown, and forward Emmy Andujar will represent Puerto Rico in the Stankovic Cup in China from July 27-29. Add in Maryland transfer Ashton Pankey and a four-member recruiting class, and Masiello will have the bodies needed to play his preferred uptempo style.
Injuries can obviously be unpredictable, but their summer trip to the Bahamas could be the first step Manhattan takes towards being a contender in the MAAC next season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)