Jun 27, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
In early June the University of Memphis announced that fans would be allowed to vote for the new design for the FedEx Forum floor. With the program making the move to the American Athletic Conference, there was a need to spruce things up apparently.
On Thursday the school announced which design won the vote, with fans choosing to go with the design that includes outlines of both the Memphis skyline and the Hernando de Soto Bridge.
The floor also features the conference logo on each end of the floor, a larger mid-court logo and social media marks.
“Tiger Nation has spoken,” Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen said in the release. “We thought that the voting process would be a great chance for our fans to offer their opinions as stakeholders in the Tigers’ basketball program, and they responded in massive numbers.
“It confirms the passion that Memphis fans have for their athletic programs at the University.”
The winning design was the choice of almost half of the nearly 6,000 voters, a high amount when considering the fact that fans had four possibilities from which to choose. The court will draw some attention to the program, but not nearly as much as the group that head coach Josh Pastner will put on the the floor will.
With one of the nation’s top recruiting classes joining talented returnees such as guards Chris Crawford and Joe Jackson and forward Shaq Goodwin, Memphis is seen by many as Louisville’s biggest threat in the American in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)