Jun 27, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
In early June the University of Memphis announced that fans would be allowed to vote for the new design for the FedEx Forum floor. With the program making the move to the American Athletic Conference, there was a need to spruce things up apparently.
On Thursday the school announced which design won the vote, with fans choosing to go with the design that includes outlines of both the Memphis skyline and the Hernando de Soto Bridge.
The floor also features the conference logo on each end of the floor, a larger mid-court logo and social media marks.
“Tiger Nation has spoken,” Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen said in the release. “We thought that the voting process would be a great chance for our fans to offer their opinions as stakeholders in the Tigers’ basketball program, and they responded in massive numbers.
“It confirms the passion that Memphis fans have for their athletic programs at the University.”
The winning design was the choice of almost half of the nearly 6,000 voters, a high amount when considering the fact that fans had four possibilities from which to choose. The court will draw some attention to the program, but not nearly as much as the group that head coach Josh Pastner will put on the the floor will.
With one of the nation’s top recruiting classes joining talented returnees such as guards Chris Crawford and Joe Jackson and forward Shaq Goodwin, Memphis is seen by many as Louisville’s biggest threat in the American in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 9
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)