Jun 28, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
Once any draft is completed, more than a few people like to check out which conferences had the highest number of picks. In Thursday’s NBA Draft the ACC and Pac-12 shared the top spot, with each conference having seven players selected.
*Note – This does not count Glen Rice Jr., who played in the D-League last year after being dismissed from the Georgia Tech program late in the 2011-12 season.
With its four first-round draft picks the ACC saw its streak of having at least one player selected in the first round move to 25 consecutive years. Maryland’s Alex Len, the 5th overall selection, led the way for the ACC with Duke (Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly) being the lone ACC team to see multiple players selected.
North Carolina now has an ACC-leading 45 draft picks with the Los Angeles Clippers’ selection of guard Reggie Bullock. The ACC was one of three conferences to have four players picked in the first round, with the Big East and Big Ten being the others.
As for the Pac-12, UCLA guard Shabazz Muhammad (14th overall, headed to Minnesota via trade) was the first of seven players selected on the night. Following the Pac-12 were the Big East (six selections), Big Ten (five), SEC (five), Big 12 (four) and Mountain West (four).
The Mountain West’s four selections are a record for the conference, and the league can also claim its second top overall draft pick (UNLV forward Anthony Bennett) since its inception in 1999. Utah’s Andrew Bogut (2005) was the first.
Outside of the conferences noted above, only the Patriot League (Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum and Bucknell’s Mike Muscala) could claim multiple draft picks this year. Before Thursday, the last Patriot League player to be selected was Colgate’s Adonal Foyle in 1997.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)