Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Of the 16 players who were named finalists for the United States’ World University Games team, only 12 will be on the official roster when it is announced on Sunday. Friday, USA Basketball announced that one of the finalists has been forced to withdraw from the training camp due to injury.
After reports surfaced on Thursday that Duke redshirt sophomore forward Rodney Hood injured his right Achilles tendon, USA Basketball made it official that he is no longer physically able to participate. That leaves World University Games team head coach Bob McKillop and his staff with 15 players to choose from.
“I feel so sorry for Rodney,” said McKillop in the release. “He committed himself fully to be a part of this team, and we will miss him. He would have been a valuable team member for USA Basketball.”
Hood sat out all of last season after transferring to Duke from Mississippi State, where he averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors. With Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee all having graduated, Hood is expected to be a valuable contributor for the Blue Devils in 2013-14.
In a story by Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun, Hood’s father noted that while Rodney is dealing with some swelling and soreness there is no tear in the Achilles tendon.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)