Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Of the 16 players who were named finalists for the United States’ World University Games team, only 12 will be on the official roster when it is announced on Sunday. Friday, USA Basketball announced that one of the finalists has been forced to withdraw from the training camp due to injury.
After reports surfaced on Thursday that Duke redshirt sophomore forward Rodney Hood injured his right Achilles tendon, USA Basketball made it official that he is no longer physically able to participate. That leaves World University Games team head coach Bob McKillop and his staff with 15 players to choose from.
“I feel so sorry for Rodney,” said McKillop in the release. “He committed himself fully to be a part of this team, and we will miss him. He would have been a valuable team member for USA Basketball.”
Hood sat out all of last season after transferring to Duke from Mississippi State, where he averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors. With Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee all having graduated, Hood is expected to be a valuable contributor for the Blue Devils in 2013-14.
In a story by Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun, Hood’s father noted that while Rodney is dealing with some swelling and soreness there is no tear in the Achilles tendon.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)