Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Of the 16 players who were named finalists for the United States’ World University Games team, only 12 will be on the official roster when it is announced on Sunday. Friday, USA Basketball announced that one of the finalists has been forced to withdraw from the training camp due to injury.
After reports surfaced on Thursday that Duke redshirt sophomore forward Rodney Hood injured his right Achilles tendon, USA Basketball made it official that he is no longer physically able to participate. That leaves World University Games team head coach Bob McKillop and his staff with 15 players to choose from.
“I feel so sorry for Rodney,” said McKillop in the release. “He committed himself fully to be a part of this team, and we will miss him. He would have been a valuable team member for USA Basketball.”
Hood sat out all of last season after transferring to Duke from Mississippi State, where he averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors. With Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee all having graduated, Hood is expected to be a valuable contributor for the Blue Devils in 2013-14.
In a story by Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun, Hood’s father noted that while Rodney is dealing with some swelling and soreness there is no tear in the Achilles tendon.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)