Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Of the 16 players who were named finalists for the United States’ World University Games team, only 12 will be on the official roster when it is announced on Sunday. Friday, USA Basketball announced that one of the finalists has been forced to withdraw from the training camp due to injury.
After reports surfaced on Thursday that Duke redshirt sophomore forward Rodney Hood injured his right Achilles tendon, USA Basketball made it official that he is no longer physically able to participate. That leaves World University Games team head coach Bob McKillop and his staff with 15 players to choose from.
“I feel so sorry for Rodney,” said McKillop in the release. “He committed himself fully to be a part of this team, and we will miss him. He would have been a valuable team member for USA Basketball.”
Hood sat out all of last season after transferring to Duke from Mississippi State, where he averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors. With Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee all having graduated, Hood is expected to be a valuable contributor for the Blue Devils in 2013-14.
In a story by Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun, Hood’s father noted that while Rodney is dealing with some swelling and soreness there is no tear in the Achilles tendon.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)