Jun 28, 2013, 1:32 PM EST
Iona announced a coaching hire Friday, with head coach Tim Cluess adding Brock Erickson to his coaching staff to fill the vacancy left when Zak Boisvert joined Greg Herenda’s staff at Fairleigh Dickinson.
Last season Erickson was the head coach at the State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota where one of his players was guard Isaiah Williams, who won Suncoast Conference Player of the Year honors.
Williams, who was one of six Manatees to earn all-conference honors, signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Iona program in November.
Erickson has plenty of coaching experience at the junior college level, and his five-year stint at Monroe (N.Y.) JC means that he has some familiarity with the New York metropolitan area.
His Mustang squad played at the NJCAA National Tournament in Hutchinson, KS in each of his last three seasons at Monroe. Erickson had a track record of recruiting top talent from across the nation. He helped recruit four NJCAA All-American and 21 All-Conference players. Academically, he displayed a great deal of success as well. In five years at Monroe, 22 of his 25 sophomores graduated. While he was an assistant, the team held a record of 147-28, including a third place finish in 2011 and fifth place finish in 2012 at the national tournament. For much of the 2011-2012 season, Erickson’s team was ranked No. 1 in the nation for NJCAA Division I.
“We’re excited to have Coach Erickson come on board,” said Cluess in the release announcing the hire. “His tireless work ethic and knowledge of the game will be a tremendous asset to the program.
“Brock has several years of experience at the Division III and junior college levels in the Metropolitan area and has established strong connections that will help us with recruiting as well.”
Erickson joins associate head coach Jared Grasso and assistant Bill O’Keefe on Cluess’ staff, with the Gaels looking to reach the NCAA tournament for the third consecutive season in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)