Jun 28, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
Iona announced a coaching hire Friday, with head coach Tim Cluess adding Brock Erickson to his coaching staff to fill the vacancy left when Zak Boisvert joined Greg Herenda’s staff at Fairleigh Dickinson.
Last season Erickson was the head coach at the State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota where one of his players was guard Isaiah Williams, who won Suncoast Conference Player of the Year honors.
Williams, who was one of six Manatees to earn all-conference honors, signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Iona program in November.
Erickson has plenty of coaching experience at the junior college level, and his five-year stint at Monroe (N.Y.) JC means that he has some familiarity with the New York metropolitan area.
His Mustang squad played at the NJCAA National Tournament in Hutchinson, KS in each of his last three seasons at Monroe. Erickson had a track record of recruiting top talent from across the nation. He helped recruit four NJCAA All-American and 21 All-Conference players. Academically, he displayed a great deal of success as well. In five years at Monroe, 22 of his 25 sophomores graduated. While he was an assistant, the team held a record of 147-28, including a third place finish in 2011 and fifth place finish in 2012 at the national tournament. For much of the 2011-2012 season, Erickson’s team was ranked No. 1 in the nation for NJCAA Division I.
“We’re excited to have Coach Erickson come on board,” said Cluess in the release announcing the hire. “His tireless work ethic and knowledge of the game will be a tremendous asset to the program.
“Brock has several years of experience at the Division III and junior college levels in the Metropolitan area and has established strong connections that will help us with recruiting as well.”
Erickson joins associate head coach Jared Grasso and assistant Bill O’Keefe on Cluess’ staff, with the Gaels looking to reach the NCAA tournament for the third consecutive season in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)