Jun 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Last month the Iowa basketball program announced preliminary plans for its summer trip to Europe, with Fran McCaffery’s team making stops in both Paris and London. The Hawkeyes fell short of their goal of earning a bid to the NCAA tournament last season, instead landing in the Postseason NIT where they reached the title game before falling to Baylor.
With every major contributor outside of guard Eric May returning to Iowa City, a return to the Big Dance is just one of the expectations Hawkeye fans have for their team in 2013-14. With that in mind, McCaffery is hopeful that Iowa will use its road trip as a springboard to a special season as his teams at UNCG and Siena were able to.
“When I was with Greensboro, we ended up winning 20 games and the regular season championship and were invited to the NIT,” McCaffery said in May.
“At Siena, we were a championship team who wanted to come back and be a championship team. We wanted to take it to the next level and that was the year we beat Ohio State in the first round in 2009 in the NCAA Tournament, and almost beat top-seeded Louisville in the second round. I equate that experience with our opportunities we had the previous summer.”
Iowa hasn’t announced the full schedule of games for its trip overseas, but one of the match-ups will be against the London Lions as the British Basketball League team will open its new arena on August 14. The Copper Box Arena was used as a handball and modern pentathalon (fencing) venue for the 2012 London Olympics.
“We are delighted to have such a respected university as our first opponents at the Copper Box Arena,” said Lions head coach Vince Macaulay. “It’s just the kind of test we need to get the ball rolling.”
The game will also serve as a homecoming for Iowa center Gabe Olaseni, who is a native of London.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 1
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)