Jun 28, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
One day after opening pool play at the Under-19 FIBA World Championships with a commanding 88-29 victory over Ivory Coast, the United States U-19 team didn’t miss a beat in its 113-57 victory over China Friday afternoon.
Arizona signee Aaron Gordon led six Americans in double figures with 17 points while also grabbing a game-high 11 rebounds, with Florida guard Michael Frazier making four three-pointers (scoring 15 points) and St. John’s HS (Houston) senior Justise Winslow 14 (and seven rebounds).
Also reaching double figures were Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (13 points), Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart (11 points, five steals) and Whitney Young HS (Chicago) senior Jahlil Okafor (11 points, eight rebounds).
The team, coached by Florida head coach Billy Donovan, managed to score 70 points in the paint and shoot 53% from the field. Eleven of the 12 players who saw action for Donovan scored, and the United States out-rebounded China by a staggering margin of 50-14.
Thirty of the Americans’ fifty rebounds came on the offensive end, as their size proved to be too much for the Chinese to handle.
Next up for the United States is its final game of pool play, as they take on Russia Saturday. The Russians rebounded from a two-point loss to China in solid fashion, as they beat Ivory Coast 78-43 earlier Friday.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)