Jun 29, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
Will Clyburn, Detroit
Percy Gibson, Detroit
Dominique Butler, Detroit
How do they get all these city guys to come to Iowa State? Hard to say. But the pipeline from Michigan to Ames, Iowa – which includes Michigan State transfers who didn’t grow up in the state – has been in full effect for some time. The Cyclones are currently anticipating the debut of redshirt freshman Sherron Dorsey-Walker, another Michigander from the Motor City, who’s currently tearing up the local YMCA hoops league in Des Moines.
Dorsey-Walker just bested Clyburn’s record for points against a Toreador defense, putting up 67 points to go ahead of his ISU predecessor’s 64, dropped in 2012.
Apparently, if you grow up in Detroit, Ames looks pretty good.
“The Iowa State-Michigan pipeline was open a long time ago,” said Cyclones assistant Cornell Mann, whose recruiting area includes Michigan. “When you’re from Detroit, you’ve already been in the inner city; you’ve already had a taste of that, so let’s get a taste of this fresh air, good living and good people.”
It’s worth noting that the irascible Johnny Orr, who initiated the Hilton Magic in the 80s and 90s, came to Iowa State via the University of Michigan as well.
Gibson and Dorsey-Walker will team up with Flint native Monte Morris on the Iowa State roster this season, where they’ll attempt to get the Cyclones back to the NCAA tournament for a third straight time under Fred Hoiberg.
Sounds like John Beilein and Tom Izzo better watch their backs.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)