Jun 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Local product and McDonald’s All-American guard Demetrius Jackson is enrolled in summer school classes at Notre Dame and expectations are high for the 6’1 guard from Mishawaka, Indiana.
Being Notre Dame’s first Burger Boy since 2005 and also being from the area, Jackson will likely shoulder heavy expectations from Irish fans as Jackson could see significant playing time in the Irish backcourt this season.
After a busy spring and summer that included the McDonald’s Game, the Nike Hoop Summit and the Indiana-Kentucky All-Star games, Jackson is now enrolled in classes and working out with the team.
And as the South Bend Tribune reports, Jackson has already made an immediate impression on the program with his competitive nature; competing in a spirited battle with senior guard Jerian Grant.
Jackson’s competitive side surfaced on the second day of Brey’s basketball camp during the evening pickup session. Jackson was matched against senior guard Jerian Grant, who scored over him in a variety of ways.It didn’t come easily.“He’s a great defender,” Grant said. “And he’s really quick.”Undeterred by Grant going off, Jackson responded with several strong plays and passes of his own, which rocketed up the intensity level. Summer suddenly felt like mid-winter.“I never try to back down from anybody,” Jackson said. “I always try to compete. When the intensity picks up, I love it.“I try to stay composed, play hard and get better.”
Jackson is being joined on campus by fellow freshman Austin Torres and although the 6’7 Torres is also a local player from Granger, Indiana, with Notre Dame’s depth in the frontcourt, he likely won’t be a factor for significant playing time his freshman season.
Jackson averaged 25.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.6 steals per game his senior season at Marian High School.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)