Jun 29, 2013, 5:51 PM EST
A couple months back, we learned that the University of Tennessee planned to dedicate a statue to legendary basketball coach Pat Summitt. This week, the school revealed an artist’s rendering of a proposed Pat Summitt Plaza, which will welcome visitors to Thompson-Boling Arena, potentially as soon as this fall.
“I’m hoping this fall at some point during the middle to late part of the football season we could have a dedication,” Tennessee AD Mike Hart told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “A lot of things have to fall into place for us to hit that target, but I’m hopeful that we can find a way to hit that target.”
The project has its own home on the internet at patsummittplaza.com, where the UT faithful and others who want to honor Summitt are urged to donate to the cause.
From the News-Sentinel:
While unsure of the total cost, Hart said the plaza will be privately funded through donations. Fans can support the project through the Tennessee Fund. According to patsummittplaza.com, a $1,000 donation receives recognition on the plaza and a print from the dedication, along with priority points. A framed print from the dedication is added to the package for a $5,000 donation. A $10,000 donation adds an invitation to the dedication dinner.
In a time when wealthy celebrities raise filmmaking money via Kickstarter, $10,000 to honor a woman whose name is nearly synonymous with women’s college basketball doesn’t sound crazy at all.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)