Jun 29, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
A couple months back, we learned that the University of Tennessee planned to dedicate a statue to legendary basketball coach Pat Summitt. This week, the school revealed an artist’s rendering of a proposed Pat Summitt Plaza, which will welcome visitors to Thompson-Boling Arena, potentially as soon as this fall.
“I’m hoping this fall at some point during the middle to late part of the football season we could have a dedication,” Tennessee AD Mike Hart told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “A lot of things have to fall into place for us to hit that target, but I’m hopeful that we can find a way to hit that target.”
The project has its own home on the internet at patsummittplaza.com, where the UT faithful and others who want to honor Summitt are urged to donate to the cause.
From the News-Sentinel:
While unsure of the total cost, Hart said the plaza will be privately funded through donations. Fans can support the project through the Tennessee Fund. According to patsummittplaza.com, a $1,000 donation receives recognition on the plaza and a print from the dedication, along with priority points. A framed print from the dedication is added to the package for a $5,000 donation. A $10,000 donation adds an invitation to the dedication dinner.
In a time when wealthy celebrities raise filmmaking money via Kickstarter, $10,000 to honor a woman whose name is nearly synonymous with women’s college basketball doesn’t sound crazy at all.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)