Jun 29, 2013, 5:51 PM EST
A couple months back, we learned that the University of Tennessee planned to dedicate a statue to legendary basketball coach Pat Summitt. This week, the school revealed an artist’s rendering of a proposed Pat Summitt Plaza, which will welcome visitors to Thompson-Boling Arena, potentially as soon as this fall.
“I’m hoping this fall at some point during the middle to late part of the football season we could have a dedication,” Tennessee AD Mike Hart told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “A lot of things have to fall into place for us to hit that target, but I’m hopeful that we can find a way to hit that target.”
The project has its own home on the internet at patsummittplaza.com, where the UT faithful and others who want to honor Summitt are urged to donate to the cause.
From the News-Sentinel:
While unsure of the total cost, Hart said the plaza will be privately funded through donations. Fans can support the project through the Tennessee Fund. According to patsummittplaza.com, a $1,000 donation receives recognition on the plaza and a print from the dedication, along with priority points. A framed print from the dedication is added to the package for a $5,000 donation. A $10,000 donation adds an invitation to the dedication dinner.
In a time when wealthy celebrities raise filmmaking money via Kickstarter, $10,000 to honor a woman whose name is nearly synonymous with women’s college basketball doesn’t sound crazy at all.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)