Jun 29, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
A couple months back, we learned that the University of Tennessee planned to dedicate a statue to legendary basketball coach Pat Summitt. This week, the school revealed an artist’s rendering of a proposed Pat Summitt Plaza, which will welcome visitors to Thompson-Boling Arena, potentially as soon as this fall.
“I’m hoping this fall at some point during the middle to late part of the football season we could have a dedication,” Tennessee AD Mike Hart told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “A lot of things have to fall into place for us to hit that target, but I’m hopeful that we can find a way to hit that target.”
The project has its own home on the internet at patsummittplaza.com, where the UT faithful and others who want to honor Summitt are urged to donate to the cause.
From the News-Sentinel:
While unsure of the total cost, Hart said the plaza will be privately funded through donations. Fans can support the project through the Tennessee Fund. According to patsummittplaza.com, a $1,000 donation receives recognition on the plaza and a print from the dedication, along with priority points. A framed print from the dedication is added to the package for a $5,000 donation. A $10,000 donation adds an invitation to the dedication dinner.
In a time when wealthy celebrities raise filmmaking money via Kickstarter, $10,000 to honor a woman whose name is nearly synonymous with women’s college basketball doesn’t sound crazy at all.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)