Jun 30, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
With guards Jordair Jett and Mike McCall Jr. being seniors this coming season, Saint Louis head coach Jim Crews has some work to do on the recruiting trail in regards to filling those roster spots for the future.
Saint Louis received its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class Sunday evening, when it was reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that 6-4 White Station HS combo guard Davell Roby announced his decision to attend the Atlantic 10 school (subscription required).
Interestingly enough the Memphis native got his first taste of Saint Louis basketball during the 2012 NCAA tournament, when the Billikens beat Memphis in the round of 64. Saint Louis would lose a close contest to Michigan State two days later.
Roby’s a good athlete whose versatility will serve Saint Louis well upon his arrival on campus. Roby also plays for the Team Penny AAU program, where he averaged 8.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in helping the team qualify for next month’s Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C.
Two of Roby’s high school teammates are point guard Chris Chiozza, who verbally committed to attend Florida last month, and uncommitted small forward Leron Black.
With Roby’s decision to commit, Saint Louis now has five scholarships left to fill for 2014 with forwards Dwayne Evans Jr. and Rob Loe also due to graduate at the end of the upcoming season.
The Billikens welcome four newcomers this summer, with Villanova transfer Achraf Yacoubou (he’ll have to sit this season per NCAA transfer rules) joining freshman forwards Mike Crawford, Tanner Lancona and Reggie Agbeko.
Austin McBroom, who averaged 10.9 points per game as a freshman at Central Michigan in 2011-12, will be eligible to play after sitting out all of last season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)