Jun 30, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
With guards Jordair Jett and Mike McCall Jr. being seniors this coming season, Saint Louis head coach Jim Crews has some work to do on the recruiting trail in regards to filling those roster spots for the future.
Saint Louis received its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class Sunday evening, when it was reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that 6-4 White Station HS combo guard Davell Roby announced his decision to attend the Atlantic 10 school (subscription required).
Interestingly enough the Memphis native got his first taste of Saint Louis basketball during the 2012 NCAA tournament, when the Billikens beat Memphis in the round of 64. Saint Louis would lose a close contest to Michigan State two days later.
Roby’s a good athlete whose versatility will serve Saint Louis well upon his arrival on campus. Roby also plays for the Team Penny AAU program, where he averaged 8.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in helping the team qualify for next month’s Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C.
Two of Roby’s high school teammates are point guard Chris Chiozza, who verbally committed to attend Florida last month, and uncommitted small forward Leron Black.
With Roby’s decision to commit, Saint Louis now has five scholarships left to fill for 2014 with forwards Dwayne Evans Jr. and Rob Loe also due to graduate at the end of the upcoming season.
The Billikens welcome four newcomers this summer, with Villanova transfer Achraf Yacoubou (he’ll have to sit this season per NCAA transfer rules) joining freshman forwards Mike Crawford, Tanner Lancona and Reggie Agbeko.
Austin McBroom, who averaged 10.9 points per game as a freshman at Central Michigan in 2011-12, will be eligible to play after sitting out all of last season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)