Jun 30, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
With guards Jordair Jett and Mike McCall Jr. being seniors this coming season, Saint Louis head coach Jim Crews has some work to do on the recruiting trail in regards to filling those roster spots for the future.
Saint Louis received its first verbal commitment in the 2014 class Sunday evening, when it was reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that 6-4 White Station HS combo guard Davell Roby announced his decision to attend the Atlantic 10 school (subscription required).
Interestingly enough the Memphis native got his first taste of Saint Louis basketball during the 2012 NCAA tournament, when the Billikens beat Memphis in the round of 64. Saint Louis would lose a close contest to Michigan State two days later.
Roby’s a good athlete whose versatility will serve Saint Louis well upon his arrival on campus. Roby also plays for the Team Penny AAU program, where he averaged 8.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in helping the team qualify for next month’s Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C.
Two of Roby’s high school teammates are point guard Chris Chiozza, who verbally committed to attend Florida last month, and uncommitted small forward Leron Black.
With Roby’s decision to commit, Saint Louis now has five scholarships left to fill for 2014 with forwards Dwayne Evans Jr. and Rob Loe also due to graduate at the end of the upcoming season.
The Billikens welcome four newcomers this summer, with Villanova transfer Achraf Yacoubou (he’ll have to sit this season per NCAA transfer rules) joining freshman forwards Mike Crawford, Tanner Lancona and Reggie Agbeko.
Austin McBroom, who averaged 10.9 points per game as a freshman at Central Michigan in 2011-12, will be eligible to play after sitting out all of last season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)