Jun 30, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
After one season at Longwood, point guard Nik Brown decided he was looking for a change. Especially with the resignation of coach Mike Gillian after an 8-25 season in 2012-13 and the subsequent transfer of fellow freshman star Michael Kessens to Alabama.
Brown has decided to take a slightly different route.
Longwood PG Nik Brown has transferred to Brunswick CC & will play one year of JC there. Will be at All-American @JUCOShowcase Elite 80 East
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 29, 2013
Brown could be one of the more intriguing JuCo recruits in 2014-15. The 6-3, 200-point Ashburn, Va. native averaged 9.7 points, 3.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 27.9 minutes per game last season for the Lancers, who, as you might imagine from reading this article, that was filled with young talent — there were five freshman and three sophomores on the roster — and despite 10 seasons at the helm, the higher-ups weren’t willing to wait them for them to mature under Gillian.
With a year at Brunswick, Brown could get some solid interest from top mid and high-major programs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)