Jun 30, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
After one season at Longwood, point guard Nik Brown decided he was looking for a change. Especially with the resignation of coach Mike Gillian after an 8-25 season in 2012-13 and the subsequent transfer of fellow freshman star Michael Kessens to Alabama.
Brown has decided to take a slightly different route.
Longwood PG Nik Brown has transferred to Brunswick CC & will play one year of JC there. Will be at All-American @JUCOShowcase Elite 80 East
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 29, 2013
Brown could be one of the more intriguing JuCo recruits in 2014-15. The 6-3, 200-point Ashburn, Va. native averaged 9.7 points, 3.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 27.9 minutes per game last season for the Lancers, who, as you might imagine from reading this article, that was filled with young talent — there were five freshman and three sophomores on the roster — and despite 10 seasons at the helm, the higher-ups weren’t willing to wait them for them to mature under Gillian.
With a year at Brunswick, Brown could get some solid interest from top mid and high-major programs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)