Jun 30, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
After one season at Longwood, point guard Nik Brown decided he was looking for a change. Especially with the resignation of coach Mike Gillian after an 8-25 season in 2012-13 and the subsequent transfer of fellow freshman star Michael Kessens to Alabama.
Brown has decided to take a slightly different route.
Longwood PG Nik Brown has transferred to Brunswick CC & will play one year of JC there. Will be at All-American @JUCOShowcase Elite 80 East
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 29, 2013
Brown could be one of the more intriguing JuCo recruits in 2014-15. The 6-3, 200-point Ashburn, Va. native averaged 9.7 points, 3.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 27.9 minutes per game last season for the Lancers, who, as you might imagine from reading this article, that was filled with young talent — there were five freshman and three sophomores on the roster — and despite 10 seasons at the helm, the higher-ups weren’t willing to wait them for them to mature under Gillian.
With a year at Brunswick, Brown could get some solid interest from top mid and high-major programs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1