Jun 30, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
After one season at Longwood, point guard Nik Brown decided he was looking for a change. Especially with the resignation of coach Mike Gillian after an 8-25 season in 2012-13 and the subsequent transfer of fellow freshman star Michael Kessens to Alabama.
Brown has decided to take a slightly different route.
Longwood PG Nik Brown has transferred to Brunswick CC & will play one year of JC there. Will be at All-American @JUCOShowcase Elite 80 East
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) June 29, 2013
Brown could be one of the more intriguing JuCo recruits in 2014-15. The 6-3, 200-point Ashburn, Va. native averaged 9.7 points, 3.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 27.9 minutes per game last season for the Lancers, who, as you might imagine from reading this article, that was filled with young talent — there were five freshman and three sophomores on the roster — and despite 10 seasons at the helm, the higher-ups weren’t willing to wait them for them to mature under Gillian.
With a year at Brunswick, Brown could get some solid interest from top mid and high-major programs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)