Jun 30, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
On Sunday the SIU-Edwardsville program added yet another upperclassman to its roster, as it was announced that Hutchinson (Kan.) CC guard Rozell Nunn has decided to spend his final two years of eligibility at the Ohio Valley Conference school.
Nunn, a 6-3 guard from Kansas City, started 33 of the 34 games in which he played and posted averages of 8.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Hutchinson. He and the rest of the Blue Dragons managed to lead Hutch to its first NJCAA Division I tournament appearance in 16 years.
Hutchinson finished the season with a 31-4 record and a Region VI title. Also on that team was guard D’Von Campbell, who has since signed on to play at Rutgers for first-year head coach Eddie Jordan.
SIU-Edwardsville head coach Lennox Forrester has added four newcomers this offseason, with three being junior college transfers. Nunn joins fellow JUCO transfers Cameron Craig (6-foot point guard) and Keaton Jackson (6-9 forward), and 6-6 freshman wing Deangelo Stewart.
SIU-E will also have the services of transfers Grant Fiorentinos and Donivine Stewart, who sat out after making moves from Tulane and Bradley respectively. Fiorentinos, a 6-10 forward/center from Cape Town, South Africa, gives the Cougars a much-needed body in the paint while Stewart will factor into the rotation at point guard.
SIU-E finished the 2012-13 season with a record of nine wins and 18 losses, going 5-11 in OVC play. The Cougars lost seven of their last eight games to end the season, just missing out on a spot in the OVC tournament.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)