Jun 30, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
One of the biggest stories off the college basketball offseason recently has been the late transfer of Kyle Wiltjer. Now there are reports that his new destination could already be decided.
Wiltjer, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.2 rebounds for Kentucky last season, is a Pacific Northwest kid for Portland, and he may make his way back to the region, with Gonzaga reportedly being the top team on his list.
Says Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com
“Gonzaga,” one coach at another school trying to recruit him said.
The 6-foot-10 Wiltjer visited the Gonzaga campus this week, ESPN.com reported.
With the transfer of Houston’s James Young to Oregon, it’s unlikely Wiltjer lands in his home state at Oregon, according to the report.
Looks like Wiltjer already has the support of Bulldogs’ point guard Kevin Pangos.
“I told him obviously I would love to have him at Gonzaga if he chose to leave Kentucky, but I’m not gonna pressure him too much. He’s my friend and whatever decision he makes, he has to live with. I hope he comes back and to play with him, but we’ll see.”
Wiltjer left the Wildcats in search of a more prominent role at another high-major program. With Gonzaga losing Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk, Wiltjer’s size and outside shooting ability could help fill the talent gaps left by them.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)