Jun 30, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
One of the biggest stories off the college basketball offseason recently has been the late transfer of Kyle Wiltjer. Now there are reports that his new destination could already be decided.
Wiltjer, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.2 rebounds for Kentucky last season, is a Pacific Northwest kid for Portland, and he may make his way back to the region, with Gonzaga reportedly being the top team on his list.
Says Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com
“Gonzaga,” one coach at another school trying to recruit him said.
The 6-foot-10 Wiltjer visited the Gonzaga campus this week, ESPN.com reported.
With the transfer of Houston’s James Young to Oregon, it’s unlikely Wiltjer lands in his home state at Oregon, according to the report.
Looks like Wiltjer already has the support of Bulldogs’ point guard Kevin Pangos.
“I told him obviously I would love to have him at Gonzaga if he chose to leave Kentucky, but I’m not gonna pressure him too much. He’s my friend and whatever decision he makes, he has to live with. I hope he comes back and to play with him, but we’ll see.”
Wiltjer left the Wildcats in search of a more prominent role at another high-major program. With Gonzaga losing Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk, Wiltjer’s size and outside shooting ability could help fill the talent gaps left by them.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)