Jun 30, 2013, 7:27 PM EST
In late February Charlotte head coach Alan Major dismissed leading scorer DeMario Mayfield for what was described as a violation of team policy. Through 18 games the one-time Georgia Bulldog was averaging 11.7 points and 3.6 rebounds per game for the 49ers, who ultimately finished the season with a 21-12 record.
Mayfield has since agreed to join the Morehead State program for his final season of eligibility, but his future as an Eagle may be in doubt with the 6-5 guard once again in trouble.
It was reported by the Charlotte Observer on Sunday that he and another man have been indicted on charges including conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
According to the story, Mayfield and Ricardo James Crawford were found on May 27 acting suspiciously in a car with handguns, masks and gloves in their possession.
Police noticed the car at about 2:30 a.m. because it made a sharp turn into a neighborhood that police describe as vulnerable to burglaries because many college students who live there were away for the summer break. Officers ran the car’s tag number and found that the registration was expired.
Police followed as the car turned off its headlights, drove down an alley and parked behind some apartments.
Officers approached the car and saw a clown mask by Mayfield’s feet and a gun wedged between his leg and the seat. A furry hat lay on the floor next to Crawford’s feet. Officers also found two pairs of latex gloves, a drawstring bag, a marijuana bud, a second handgun and a bag holding a magazine loaded with 9 mm bullets.
Mayfield and Crawford have been indicted on charges of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, loitering or prowling and possession of marijuana.
Mayfield is free after posting bail ($11,200), but the question now is whether or not he’s blown his latest (and last?) opportunity to finish his Division I career on the court as opposed to being dismissed.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)