Jun 30, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
In late February Charlotte head coach Alan Major dismissed leading scorer DeMario Mayfield for what was described as a violation of team policy. Through 18 games the one-time Georgia Bulldog was averaging 11.7 points and 3.6 rebounds per game for the 49ers, who ultimately finished the season with a 21-12 record.
Mayfield has since agreed to join the Morehead State program for his final season of eligibility, but his future as an Eagle may be in doubt with the 6-5 guard once again in trouble.
It was reported by the Charlotte Observer on Sunday that he and another man have been indicted on charges including conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
According to the story, Mayfield and Ricardo James Crawford were found on May 27 acting suspiciously in a car with handguns, masks and gloves in their possession.
Police noticed the car at about 2:30 a.m. because it made a sharp turn into a neighborhood that police describe as vulnerable to burglaries because many college students who live there were away for the summer break. Officers ran the car’s tag number and found that the registration was expired.
Police followed as the car turned off its headlights, drove down an alley and parked behind some apartments.
Officers approached the car and saw a clown mask by Mayfield’s feet and a gun wedged between his leg and the seat. A furry hat lay on the floor next to Crawford’s feet. Officers also found two pairs of latex gloves, a drawstring bag, a marijuana bud, a second handgun and a bag holding a magazine loaded with 9 mm bullets.
Mayfield and Crawford have been indicted on charges of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, loitering or prowling and possession of marijuana.
Mayfield is free after posting bail ($11,200), but the question now is whether or not he’s blown his latest (and last?) opportunity to finish his Division I career on the court as opposed to being dismissed.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)