Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Mike Jarvis and Florida Atlantic received some bad, but not unexpected news on Monday afternoon when they learned sophomore to-be Stefan Moody — a second team All-Sun Belt Conference performer — left the Owl basketball program and is headed to Kilgore College, a community college in Texas.
Kilgore assistant coach Joe Regan tweeted the following:
Moody was just one of two freshmen to earn a spot on an All-Conference team — the Sun Belt awards 15 players on a first, second, and third team — after averaging 15.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game.
Despite finding much success on the court, Moody struggled academically and socially as a freshman. According to the SunSentinel:
Moody was suspended for three games in December for what was originally reported as academic reasons — FAU coach Mike Jarvis later admitted that the suspension was drug related. Sources close to the team said this summer that Moody was unlikely to rejoin the Owls for the 2013-2014 because of his academics.
Regarded as a highly explosive player with a great shot to boot — he connected on 52 triples as a freshman — Moody is the third FAU player to leave the team since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season with fellow freshmen Cavon Baker and Chris Bryant both leaving the team in April.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)