Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Mike Jarvis and Florida Atlantic received some bad, but not unexpected news on Monday afternoon when they learned sophomore to-be Stefan Moody — a second team All-Sun Belt Conference performer — left the Owl basketball program and is headed to Kilgore College, a community college in Texas.
Kilgore assistant coach Joe Regan tweeted the following:
Moody was just one of two freshmen to earn a spot on an All-Conference team — the Sun Belt awards 15 players on a first, second, and third team — after averaging 15.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game.
Despite finding much success on the court, Moody struggled academically and socially as a freshman. According to the SunSentinel:
Moody was suspended for three games in December for what was originally reported as academic reasons — FAU coach Mike Jarvis later admitted that the suspension was drug related. Sources close to the team said this summer that Moody was unlikely to rejoin the Owls for the 2013-2014 because of his academics.
Regarded as a highly explosive player with a great shot to boot — he connected on 52 triples as a freshman — Moody is the third FAU player to leave the team since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season with fellow freshmen Cavon Baker and Chris Bryant both leaving the team in April.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)