Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Mike Jarvis and Florida Atlantic received some bad, but not unexpected news on Monday afternoon when they learned sophomore to-be Stefan Moody — a second team All-Sun Belt Conference performer — left the Owl basketball program and is headed to Kilgore College, a community college in Texas.
Kilgore assistant coach Joe Regan tweeted the following:
Moody was just one of two freshmen to earn a spot on an All-Conference team — the Sun Belt awards 15 players on a first, second, and third team — after averaging 15.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game.
Despite finding much success on the court, Moody struggled academically and socially as a freshman. According to the SunSentinel:
Moody was suspended for three games in December for what was originally reported as academic reasons — FAU coach Mike Jarvis later admitted that the suspension was drug related. Sources close to the team said this summer that Moody was unlikely to rejoin the Owls for the 2013-2014 because of his academics.
Regarded as a highly explosive player with a great shot to boot — he connected on 52 triples as a freshman — Moody is the third FAU player to leave the team since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season with fellow freshmen Cavon Baker and Chris Bryant both leaving the team in April.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)