Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Mike Jarvis and Florida Atlantic received some bad, but not unexpected news on Monday afternoon when they learned sophomore to-be Stefan Moody — a second team All-Sun Belt Conference performer — left the Owl basketball program and is headed to Kilgore College, a community college in Texas.
Kilgore assistant coach Joe Regan tweeted the following:
Would love to welcome Stefan Moody to our team he is a D1 transfer from FAU where he averaged 16ppg,4rpg,4apg & was 2nd team All Sun-Belt!!—
CoachReagan_KC (@CoachReagan) July 01, 2013
Moody was just one of two freshmen to earn a spot on an All-Conference team — the Sun Belt awards 15 players on a first, second, and third team — after averaging 15.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game.
Despite finding much success on the court, Moody struggled academically and socially as a freshman. According to the SunSentinel:
Moody was suspended for three games in December for what was originally reported as academic reasons — FAU coach Mike Jarvis later admitted that the suspension was drug related. Sources close to the team said this summer that Moody was unlikely to rejoin the Owls for the 2013-2014 because of his academics.
Regarded as a highly explosive player with a great shot to boot — he connected on 52 triples as a freshman — Moody is the third FAU player to leave the team since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season with fellow freshmen Cavon Baker and Chris Bryant both leaving the team in April.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)