Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Mike Jarvis and Florida Atlantic received some bad, but not unexpected news on Monday afternoon when they learned sophomore to-be Stefan Moody — a second team All-Sun Belt Conference performer — left the Owl basketball program and is headed to Kilgore College, a community college in Texas.
Kilgore assistant coach Joe Regan tweeted the following:
Moody was just one of two freshmen to earn a spot on an All-Conference team — the Sun Belt awards 15 players on a first, second, and third team — after averaging 15.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game.
Despite finding much success on the court, Moody struggled academically and socially as a freshman. According to the SunSentinel:
Moody was suspended for three games in December for what was originally reported as academic reasons — FAU coach Mike Jarvis later admitted that the suspension was drug related. Sources close to the team said this summer that Moody was unlikely to rejoin the Owls for the 2013-2014 because of his academics.
Regarded as a highly explosive player with a great shot to boot — he connected on 52 triples as a freshman — Moody is the third FAU player to leave the team since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season with fellow freshmen Cavon Baker and Chris Bryant both leaving the team in April.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)