Jul 2, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Creighton got some great news on Tuesday afternoon as the NCAA officially ruled that Grant Gibbs would be given a sixth-year of eligibility.
Gibbs averaged 8.5 points, 5.8 assists and 4.1 boards for the Bluejays last season, the second straight year that he led the Missouri Valley in assists. Creighton is 57-14 with Gibbs in the starting lineup the past two seasons, as he plays a major role in facilitating Gregg McDermott’s offensive from the wing. Gibbs’ is a good decision-maker running the pick-and-roll, creating opportunities for easy looks for his all-american teammate Doug McDermott.
The 6-foot-5 Gibbs began his career at Gonzaga, where he redshirted as a freshman because of a shoulder injury that would have kept him out for the season. He transferred to Creighton after playing as a redshirt freshman with the Zags, and while he sat out his one season as a transfer, Gibbs was also recovering from a knee injury.
Creighton returns four starters from last year’s team that won dual-MVC titles, but they lose a key role player in center Greg Echenique to graduation. Losing Gibbs as well would have been a major blow, but with him back in the fold, the Jays look like the early favorite to win the Big East.
In more interesting news, since Gibbs would be Creighton’s 14th scholarship player, Doug McDermott will walk-on to the team next season.
The Bluejays officially became members of the Big East on Monday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)