Jul 2, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Creighton got some great news on Tuesday afternoon as the NCAA officially ruled that Grant Gibbs would be given a sixth-year of eligibility.
Gibbs averaged 8.5 points, 5.8 assists and 4.1 boards for the Bluejays last season, the second straight year that he led the Missouri Valley in assists. Creighton is 57-14 with Gibbs in the starting lineup the past two seasons, as he plays a major role in facilitating Gregg McDermott’s offensive from the wing. Gibbs’ is a good decision-maker running the pick-and-roll, creating opportunities for easy looks for his all-american teammate Doug McDermott.
The 6-foot-5 Gibbs began his career at Gonzaga, where he redshirted as a freshman because of a shoulder injury that would have kept him out for the season. He transferred to Creighton after playing as a redshirt freshman with the Zags, and while he sat out his one season as a transfer, Gibbs was also recovering from a knee injury.
Creighton returns four starters from last year’s team that won dual-MVC titles, but they lose a key role player in center Greg Echenique to graduation. Losing Gibbs as well would have been a major blow, but with him back in the fold, the Jays look like the early favorite to win the Big East.
In more interesting news, since Gibbs would be Creighton’s 14th scholarship player, Doug McDermott will walk-on to the team next season.
The Bluejays officially became members of the Big East on Monday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 8
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 9
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)