Jul 2, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
In a seemingly unprecedented move, the NCAA has suspended Kim Mulkey, the head coach of the Baylor women’s basketball team, for the first game of their next NCAA tournament appearance for comments that she made after the Bears were upset by Louisville in the Sweet 16 last season.
“The committee unanimously felt that the behavior of Coach Mulkey was unacceptable and has no place in the women’s basketball championship,” said Carolayne Henry, chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee, in a release.
The biggest reason that Mulkey was suspended for a game is that this isn’t the first time she’s gotten in trouble for publicly criticizing officials after a tournament game. She did the same thing in 2011. And I’m sure telling reporters at the press conference she didn’t “mind getting fined” ruffled a few feathers as well.
“I’ll be glad to answer any referee question you want to ask me, because I don’t mind getting fined, so ask me. Now is the time to ask me, okay?” Mulkey said.
The game was fairly poorly officiated, and Mulkey had a right to be upset. The call that set her off, however, was a questionable charge called on Baylor with 16.7 seconds left. Mulkey was so upset that she tried to rip off her jacket and couldn’t. It’s actually quite funny:
“I thought the game started out way too physical, way too physical. I thought that all three of them, if they go past this round of officiating, it will be sad for the game,” Mulkey said when asked about the officiating. “I thought the two critical calls at the end of the game were really bad. Jordan Madden drives in the paint. We already have the missed shot. She calls an offensive foul on Madden right there. Well, why so late? Odyssey Sims had the rebound in her hand.”
“Then I don’t know about that at the end. It was on the opposite end. I’d have to go see it. You saw it. What did y’all think? Was it a foul? Did anybody here think it was a foul? Honestly, tell me.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)