Jul 2, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
In a seemingly unprecedented move, the NCAA has suspended Kim Mulkey, the head coach of the Baylor women’s basketball team, for the first game of their next NCAA tournament appearance for comments that she made after the Bears were upset by Louisville in the Sweet 16 last season.
“The committee unanimously felt that the behavior of Coach Mulkey was unacceptable and has no place in the women’s basketball championship,” said Carolayne Henry, chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee, in a release.
The biggest reason that Mulkey was suspended for a game is that this isn’t the first time she’s gotten in trouble for publicly criticizing officials after a tournament game. She did the same thing in 2011. And I’m sure telling reporters at the press conference she didn’t “mind getting fined” ruffled a few feathers as well.
“I’ll be glad to answer any referee question you want to ask me, because I don’t mind getting fined, so ask me. Now is the time to ask me, okay?” Mulkey said.
The game was fairly poorly officiated, and Mulkey had a right to be upset. The call that set her off, however, was a questionable charge called on Baylor with 16.7 seconds left. Mulkey was so upset that she tried to rip off her jacket and couldn’t. It’s actually quite funny:
“I thought the game started out way too physical, way too physical. I thought that all three of them, if they go past this round of officiating, it will be sad for the game,” Mulkey said when asked about the officiating. “I thought the two critical calls at the end of the game were really bad. Jordan Madden drives in the paint. We already have the missed shot. She calls an offensive foul on Madden right there. Well, why so late? Odyssey Sims had the rebound in her hand.”
“Then I don’t know about that at the end. It was on the opposite end. I’d have to go see it. You saw it. What did y’all think? Was it a foul? Did anybody here think it was a foul? Honestly, tell me.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)