Jul 2, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
The 2014 NBA Draft is projected to be a loaded one. Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon Julius Randle and Jabari Parker are only a few names that could be next June’s draft.
Another name that is also being considered a candidate to be a 2014 lottery pick is Michigan State rising sophomore guard Gary Harris. The 6-foot-4 Harris battled through a shoulder injury in his first season in East Lansing. After rehabbing, Harris has recently resumed offseason workouts.
Despite, the injury, Harris still finished his first season in a Spartans uniform averaging 12.9 points per game and earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors. Moreover, when Harris announced his return, Tom Izzo told the MSU faithful that, “You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet.”
Although, Harris is expected to have an improved sophomore campaign and is currently sitting high in the 2014 mock drafts, Harris’ father says his son isn’t eyeing the NBA. From MLive.com’s Diamond Leung:
“I think all of that NBA stuff will take care of itself whenever it’s time, whenever that is,” Gary Harris Sr. told The Drive with Jack Ebling earlier this month. “There’s no timeline. Just keep getting better, and if he’s fortunate enough to make it, then we’ll just sit back and be fans.
“He enjoys school, so it’s not a situation where he ever wanted to come to school to get in, get out … No timeline. No next year-type deal, but it’s just whenever it seems right. Whenever it is, that’s when it’ll be.”
It was good news for Michigan State that Harris elected to return for a sophomore campaign its even better that he isn’t already looking at shaking future commissioner Adam Sliver’s hand just yet.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)