Jul 2, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
The 2014 NBA Draft is projected to be a loaded one. Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon Julius Randle and Jabari Parker are only a few names that could be next June’s draft.
Another name that is also being considered a candidate to be a 2014 lottery pick is Michigan State rising sophomore guard Gary Harris. The 6-foot-4 Harris battled through a shoulder injury in his first season in East Lansing. After rehabbing, Harris has recently resumed offseason workouts.
Despite, the injury, Harris still finished his first season in a Spartans uniform averaging 12.9 points per game and earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors. Moreover, when Harris announced his return, Tom Izzo told the MSU faithful that, “You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet.”
Although, Harris is expected to have an improved sophomore campaign and is currently sitting high in the 2014 mock drafts, Harris’ father says his son isn’t eyeing the NBA. From MLive.com’s Diamond Leung:
“I think all of that NBA stuff will take care of itself whenever it’s time, whenever that is,” Gary Harris Sr. told The Drive with Jack Ebling earlier this month. “There’s no timeline. Just keep getting better, and if he’s fortunate enough to make it, then we’ll just sit back and be fans.
“He enjoys school, so it’s not a situation where he ever wanted to come to school to get in, get out … No timeline. No next year-type deal, but it’s just whenever it seems right. Whenever it is, that’s when it’ll be.”
It was good news for Michigan State that Harris elected to return for a sophomore campaign its even better that he isn’t already looking at shaking future commissioner Adam Sliver’s hand just yet.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)