Jul 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Jamie Dixon and the Pitt Panthers landed a late 2013 commit from shooting guard Detrick Mostella (La Lumiere School/Decatur, Ala.).
Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports reported the news that the former Oklahoma State commit had changed his college plans for the fall.
“Pitt has received a commitment from 2013 guard Detrick Mostella, per a source. Originally committed to Oklahoma State. Big time get,” tweeted Rothstein
Mostella gives Pitt an exceptional athlete at the two-guard, who has great speed and finishes above the rim (as seen in these numerous YouTube videos). He’ll hopefully give Pitt a scoring boost sharing the backcourt with rising sophomore James Robinson next season at Pitt.
Rothstein didn’t mention why he elected to switch commitments, but it might have something to do with Travis Ford returning Marcus Smart, Markel Brown and Phil Forte — all double-figure scorers — to Oklahoma State’s backcourt this season.
The 6-foot-3 shooting guard had previously committed to the Cowboys this past November. He is ranked No. 53 overall in the Class of 2013 and is the second four-star recruit to pledge to Dixon and the Panthers. Power forward Mike Young (St. Benedict’s Prep/McKeesport, Pa.), point guard Josh Newkirk (Word of God Christian Academy/Raleigh, N.C.) and small forward Jamel Artis (Notre Dame Prep/Baltimore, Md.) will join Mostella in Pitt’s freshman class. Joseph Uchebo, a 6-foot-9 JuCo center from Chipola College (Fla.) rounds out the Panthers’ newcomers.
Derrick Randall will continue his career at Pitt starting this fall, following his transfer from Rutgers. He is reportedly seeking a waiver.
Pittsburgh loses Travon Woodall to graduation, Steven Adams to the NBA and J.J. Moore, who is transferring to Rutgers.
Pittsburgh still has one more scholarship available for the upcoming season, according to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 0
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)