Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Back in May, when all of up college hoop heads were looking for something — anything — to write about, ESPN.com’s Myron Medcalf penned a piece on Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg.
Hoiberg had just signed a new contract with the Cyclones, one in which he has a $2 million buyout if he leaves for another college but just a $500,000 buyout if he bolts for the NBA.
I agreed with Medcalf’s premise that Hoiberg’s collegiate buyout was pointless. He’s a native of Ames and a graduate of Iowa State. He’s not leaving that program for another college program. Period.
But Hoiberg is also an NBA guy. He was the assistant GM and the VP of basketball operations with the Minnesota Timberwolves after a ten year NBA career came to an end with open-heart surgery. Eventually, most people believe, he is going to end up back in the NBA somewhere, be it on a bench or in a front office.
With Boston entering full-on rebuilding mode, Doc Rivers has jumped ship and taken the job as the head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers. On Wednesday, the Boston Globe put out a list of potential replacements for Rivers, and guess who found their way on there:
Fred Hoiberg — Head coach at Iowa State, his alma mater. Played in NBA from 1995-2005, for Indiana (under Larry Brown and Larry Bird), Chicago (under Tim Floyd), and Minnesota (under Kevin McHale). NBA career ended at age 33 after undergoing open-heart surgery. Former vice president of basketball operations for the Timberwolves and also the team’s assistant general manager. Analysis: “The Mayor” is a strong candidate from the college ranks who has NBA experience in several areas. Unclear how his coaching style would translate, but a safe, potentially stable pick.
This doesn’t mean that Hoiberg is going to get the Celtics job, but it is yet another indication that the NBA is probably where his future lies.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)