Jul 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The announcement that Brad Stevens would leave his post at Butler to take over as head coach of the Boston Celtics was certainly a stunner, given the fact that he’s had the opportunity to take over some of college basketball’s most prestigious programs only to remain in Indianapolis.
Butler AD Barry Collier now has quite the task on his hands, as he’ll need to find a replacement for one of the game’s best coaches (young or old).
Also of importance in this move is the fact that one week from today, the first of three five-day open recruiting periods in the month of July begins.
This is the second transaction involving the Butler coaching staff this offseason, with assistant Matt Graves leaving a couple months ago to take the head coaching job at South Alabama. The question for assistants Terry Johnson, Michael Lewis and Brandon Miller: how will they go about prioritizing which recruits they need to watch during those open periods?
Also of note is the fact that the prospect of playing for Stevens could have impacted the thinking of 2014 targets. Is “The Butler Way,” which has been successful for quite some time, and the remaining staff enough to overcome his move to Boston?
For the time being Butler has just two seniors to replace after the 2013-14 campaign (forwards Erik Fromm and Khyle Marshall), so that could work in their favor this month.
While having a head coach would also help when it comes to knowing what style of play to recruit to it should be noted that a recruiting “quiet period” begins on August 1, meaning that coaches can’t talk to recruits during that time.
But the open periods are as much about showing one’s face as it is scouting prospective members of your program. And if those players aren’t sure of who the leader of that college program is, that can be a major issue.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)