Jul 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The announcement that Brad Stevens would leave his post at Butler to take over as head coach of the Boston Celtics was certainly a stunner, given the fact that he’s had the opportunity to take over some of college basketball’s most prestigious programs only to remain in Indianapolis.
Butler AD Barry Collier now has quite the task on his hands, as he’ll need to find a replacement for one of the game’s best coaches (young or old).
Also of importance in this move is the fact that one week from today, the first of three five-day open recruiting periods in the month of July begins.
This is the second transaction involving the Butler coaching staff this offseason, with assistant Matt Graves leaving a couple months ago to take the head coaching job at South Alabama. The question for assistants Terry Johnson, Michael Lewis and Brandon Miller: how will they go about prioritizing which recruits they need to watch during those open periods?
Also of note is the fact that the prospect of playing for Stevens could have impacted the thinking of 2014 targets. Is “The Butler Way,” which has been successful for quite some time, and the remaining staff enough to overcome his move to Boston?
Butler target J.P. Macura, a 2014 guard from Minnesota, said he'll still consider Butler but Stevens was "huge factor" in his interest.—
Kyle Neddenriep (@KyleNeddenriep) July 03, 2013
For the time being Butler has just two seniors to replace after the 2013-14 campaign (forwards Erik Fromm and Khyle Marshall), so that could work in their favor this month.
While having a head coach would also help when it comes to knowing what style of play to recruit to it should be noted that a recruiting “quiet period” begins on August 1, meaning that coaches can’t talk to recruits during that time.
But the open periods are as much about showing one’s face as it is scouting prospective members of your program. And if those players aren’t sure of who the leader of that college program is, that can be a major issue.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)