Jul 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Obviously the news of the day in college basketball was Brad Stevens’ decision to accept the Boston Celtics’ offer to become their new head coach. Stevens agreed to terms on a six-year, $22 million contract, meaning that he’ll receive quite the salary to rebuild a franchise that traded veterans Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn last Thursday.
With that news there was no shortage of opinions on the move on various social media sites, one of which being Twitter. Here are some of the tweets that stood out on Wednesday, beginning with thoughts from Butler AD Barry Collier.
Obviously there’s a belief that “The Butler Way” will allow the program to continue to enjoy success in the Big East. How long will it take for Collier to find a new leader for the program? The wait may not be long at all, apparently.
Reactions from former players Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward, who will now face their college coach in the NBA.
As for the current players, while they certainly were surprised by the move they all wished their former coach the best.
While it was stated that all four freshmen who signed on to attend Butler have enrolled in summer classes, freshman forward Nolan Berry had an interesting quote in regards to the coaching change.
As for the school mascot? He had a short message for the Celtics’ mascot:
Now for some thoughts (and Vegas odds, of course) from those not affiliated with the Butler program:
And lastly, a few words from coach Stevens himself:
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 14
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (17)