Jul 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EST
Obviously the news of the day in college basketball was Brad Stevens’ decision to accept the Boston Celtics’ offer to become their new head coach. Stevens agreed to terms on a six-year, $22 million contract, meaning that he’ll receive quite the salary to rebuild a franchise that traded veterans Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn last Thursday.
With that news there was no shortage of opinions on the move on various social media sites, one of which being Twitter. Here are some of the tweets that stood out on Wednesday, beginning with thoughts from Butler AD Barry Collier.
Obviously there’s a belief that “The Butler Way” will allow the program to continue to enjoy success in the Big East. How long will it take for Collier to find a new leader for the program? The wait may not be long at all, apparently.
Reactions from former players Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward, who will now face their college coach in the NBA.
As for the current players, while they certainly were surprised by the move they all wished their former coach the best.
While it was stated that all four freshmen who signed on to attend Butler have enrolled in summer classes, freshman forward Nolan Berry had an interesting quote in regards to the coaching change.
As for the school mascot? He had a short message for the Celtics’ mascot:
Now for some thoughts (and Vegas odds, of course) from those not affiliated with the Butler program:
And lastly, a few words from coach Stevens himself:
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)