Jul 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Obviously the news of the day in college basketball was Brad Stevens’ decision to accept the Boston Celtics’ offer to become their new head coach. Stevens agreed to terms on a six-year, $22 million contract, meaning that he’ll receive quite the salary to rebuild a franchise that traded veterans Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn last Thursday.
With that news there was no shortage of opinions on the move on various social media sites, one of which being Twitter. Here are some of the tweets that stood out on Wednesday, beginning with thoughts from Butler AD Barry Collier.
Obviously there’s a belief that “The Butler Way” will allow the program to continue to enjoy success in the Big East. How long will it take for Collier to find a new leader for the program? The wait may not be long at all, apparently.
Reactions from former players Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward, who will now face their college coach in the NBA.
As for the current players, while they certainly were surprised by the move they all wished their former coach the best.
While it was stated that all four freshmen who signed on to attend Butler have enrolled in summer classes, freshman forward Nolan Berry had an interesting quote in regards to the coaching change.
As for the school mascot? He had a short message for the Celtics’ mascot:
Now for some thoughts (and Vegas odds, of course) from those not affiliated with the Butler program:
And lastly, a few words from coach Stevens himself:
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)