Jul 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EST
Obviously the news of the day in college basketball was Brad Stevens’ decision to accept the Boston Celtics’ offer to become their new head coach. Stevens agreed to terms on a six-year, $22 million contract, meaning that he’ll receive quite the salary to rebuild a franchise that traded veterans Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn last Thursday.
With that news there was no shortage of opinions on the move on various social media sites, one of which being Twitter. Here are some of the tweets that stood out on Wednesday, beginning with thoughts from Butler AD Barry Collier.
Obviously there’s a belief that “The Butler Way” will allow the program to continue to enjoy success in the Big East. How long will it take for Collier to find a new leader for the program? The wait may not be long at all, apparently.
Reactions from former players Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward, who will now face their college coach in the NBA.
As for the current players, while they certainly were surprised by the move they all wished their former coach the best.
While it was stated that all four freshmen who signed on to attend Butler have enrolled in summer classes, freshman forward Nolan Berry had an interesting quote in regards to the coaching change.
As for the school mascot? He had a short message for the Celtics’ mascot:
Now for some thoughts (and Vegas odds, of course) from those not affiliated with the Butler program:
And lastly, a few words from coach Stevens himself:
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)