Jul 4, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
While July 4th is a national holiday, very rarely are there days off in the recruiting world. On Thursday, 6-10 forward Tristan Etienne has verbally committed to attend Washington. The news was first reported by Percy Allen of the Seattle Times.
A native of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Etienne is the first commitment in the 2014 class for head coach Lorenzo Romar.
“Growing up as a kid when I started watching the NCAA, Washington was a school that I took a liking to,” Etienne told Allen. “When I realized I had a chance to go D-1, it was the school I was shooting for and the school I was dreaming about. I’m just so happy I had the opportunity to go there and play.”
Washington has just one senior in its front court rotation for the 2013-14 season, San Francisco transfer Perris Blackwell, but the Huskies can certainly use another body with Gilles Dierickx, Jernard Jarreau and Shawn Kemp Jr. rounding out the rotation.
Having that experience on the roster should help Etienne’s development once he gets to Seattle, and his grassroots coach Pasha Bains stated in Allen’s story that injuries have impacted his physical development.
“When you look down the road the next 2-3 years, he’s a kid who hasn’t been in the weight room much,” said Bains. “He’s had a couple of injuries that kind of stalled that and I see that as a good thing. These other kids have filled out already. He can probably put on 20-30 pounds as he matures. Washington likes to run and he can do that. He’s a really bright kid. He’s been a 4.0 student and he scored really well on his SAT. He’s just a really good team guy. I think Washington is lucky to have him.”
With Blackwell and C.J. Wilcox out of eligibility following the 2013-14 season, Washington has two scholarships available for the 2014-15 campaign.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)