Jul 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
How close is Butler to deciding who will replace the departed Brad Stevens?
According to numerous media reports Michigan assistant Lavall Jordan and Butler assistant Brandon Miller, who both played at Butler, are the two finalists for the job opening with both having interviewed in the last two days.
Miller interviewed with Butler AD Barry Collier on Wednesday, with Jordan doing so Thursday.
Miller returned to his alma mater this spring to replace the departed Matt Graves, who is now the head coach at South Alabama. Last season Miller served as a special assistant on John Groce’s staff at Illinois. As a player Miller was a member of the 2003 team that made the school’s first Sweet 16 appearance in 41 years.
Jordan was MVP of the 2001 team that beat Wake Forest before losing to eventual national runner-up Arizona in the second round of the NCAA tournament. He’s been a member of John Beilein’s staff at Michigan for the last four seasons and played an key role in the development of point guard Trey Burke.
Before the NCAA Tournament, Wolverines’ All-American guard Trey Burke told WDFN-AM in Detroit, “Once I stepped in and learned a lot from the coaches, specifically LaVall Jordan, I was able to be successful from day one.”
Either of these two coaches would fall in line with Butler’s recent record of hiring coaches, in that there’s a clear understanding of the program and its identity.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)