Jul 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
How close is Butler to deciding who will replace the departed Brad Stevens?
According to numerous media reports Michigan assistant Lavall Jordan and Butler assistant Brandon Miller, who both played at Butler, are the two finalists for the job opening with both having interviewed in the last two days.
Miller interviewed with Butler AD Barry Collier on Wednesday, with Jordan doing so Thursday.
Miller returned to his alma mater this spring to replace the departed Matt Graves, who is now the head coach at South Alabama. Last season Miller served as a special assistant on John Groce’s staff at Illinois. As a player Miller was a member of the 2003 team that made the school’s first Sweet 16 appearance in 41 years.
Jordan was MVP of the 2001 team that beat Wake Forest before losing to eventual national runner-up Arizona in the second round of the NCAA tournament. He’s been a member of John Beilein’s staff at Michigan for the last four seasons and played an key role in the development of point guard Trey Burke.
Before the NCAA Tournament, Wolverines’ All-American guard Trey Burke told WDFN-AM in Detroit, “Once I stepped in and learned a lot from the coaches, specifically LaVall Jordan, I was able to be successful from day one.”
Either of these two coaches would fall in line with Butler’s recent record of hiring coaches, in that there’s a clear understanding of the program and its identity.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 0
- Shabazz Napier hits game-winner, runs out of the arena (VIDEO) 0
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)