Jul 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
How close is Butler to deciding who will replace the departed Brad Stevens?
According to numerous media reports Michigan assistant Lavall Jordan and Butler assistant Brandon Miller, who both played at Butler, are the two finalists for the job opening with both having interviewed in the last two days.
Miller interviewed with Butler AD Barry Collier on Wednesday, with Jordan doing so Thursday.
Miller returned to his alma mater this spring to replace the departed Matt Graves, who is now the head coach at South Alabama. Last season Miller served as a special assistant on John Groce’s staff at Illinois. As a player Miller was a member of the 2003 team that made the school’s first Sweet 16 appearance in 41 years.
Jordan was MVP of the 2001 team that beat Wake Forest before losing to eventual national runner-up Arizona in the second round of the NCAA tournament. He’s been a member of John Beilein’s staff at Michigan for the last four seasons and played an key role in the development of point guard Trey Burke.
Before the NCAA Tournament, Wolverines’ All-American guard Trey Burke told WDFN-AM in Detroit, “Once I stepped in and learned a lot from the coaches, specifically LaVall Jordan, I was able to be successful from day one.”
Either of these two coaches would fall in line with Butler’s recent record of hiring coaches, in that there’s a clear understanding of the program and its identity.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)