Jul 5, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
In his lone season at Iowa, 6-2 guard Patrick Ingram didn’t see a substantial amount of playing time due in part to the presence of veterans such as the now graduated Eric May and Devyn Marble, as well as freshman Mike Gesell.
After playing just 5.8 minutes per game, the Indianapolis native made the decision to transfer. On Friday it was reported by Kyle Neddenriep of the Indianapolis Star that Ingram has decided to transfer to IUPUI. Ingram’s decision comes one day before he was supposed to visit Evansville.
“I just felt like it was the best thing,” Ingram said. “I’m going to be an intricate part of the team and I liked the role coach (Todd) Howard told me he thought I’d have. I had a good vibe about it when I stepped on campus.”
After playing at least six minutes in three of Iowa’s first four Big Ten games Ingram played no more than three minutes in any of the Hawkeyes’ games for the rest of the season, failing to see any action in ten contests.
Ingram’s career high for minutes was his 21-minute outing in Iowa’s 90-46 win over South Carolina State on December 19, in which he accounted for two points, three rebounds and three assists.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, Ingram will have three years of eligibility remaining. In the backcourt IUPUI will lose three seniors at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, Ian Chiles (10.2 ppg in four games), P.J. Hubert (5.6 ppg) and Ja’Rob McCallum (sat out last season after transferring in from Milwaukee).
IUPUI will take a summer trip to Italy next month, playing three games against teams that have yet to be determined. Per NCAA rules the team will also have ten practices to use before leaving on August 9, which should help coach Howard’s team from a chemistry standpoint.
IUPUI finished the 2012-13 season with a 6-26 record, going 1-15 in Horizon League play.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)