Jul 6, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Air Force Falcons are on the board in the recruiting class of 2014 as they nabbed a commitment from 6’8 forward Frank Toohey on Friday afternoon. The commitment of Toohey — a forward from York High School in Elmhurst, Illinois — was confirmed to NBCsports.com by Toohey’s AAU coach Mike Mullins of the Illinois Wolves.
Toohey is a three-year varsity player that averaged 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds a game last season at York, which also featured Colorado State incoming freshman guard David Cohn. Although Toohey was a backup to Marquette commit Malek Harris on the Illinois Wolves, a surge in his performance and production in the late spring and early summer earned him offers from Army, Penn, and Yale and Toohey also saw the campuses of Princeton and William & Mary before committing to Air Force during his visit to campus this weekend.
Toohey earned the MVP award at the Riverside-Brookfield Shootout in early June and appears to have a lot of momentum going into his senior season.
Air Force head coach Dave Pilipovich led the Falcons to the CIT Tournament last season and an 18-14 record, as the school posted it’s first road postseason win in school history. Pilipovich also recently received a five-year extension with Air Force in late June.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)