Jul 6, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
The Air Force Falcons are on the board in the recruiting class of 2014 as they nabbed a commitment from 6’8 forward Frank Toohey on Friday afternoon. The commitment of Toohey — a forward from York High School in Elmhurst, Illinois — was confirmed to NBCsports.com by Toohey’s AAU coach Mike Mullins of the Illinois Wolves.
Toohey is a three-year varsity player that averaged 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds a game last season at York, which also featured Colorado State incoming freshman guard David Cohn. Although Toohey was a backup to Marquette commit Malek Harris on the Illinois Wolves, a surge in his performance and production in the late spring and early summer earned him offers from Army, Penn, and Yale and Toohey also saw the campuses of Princeton and William & Mary before committing to Air Force during his visit to campus this weekend.
Toohey earned the MVP award at the Riverside-Brookfield Shootout in early June and appears to have a lot of momentum going into his senior season.
Air Force head coach Dave Pilipovich led the Falcons to the CIT Tournament last season and an 18-14 record, as the school posted it’s first road postseason win in school history. Pilipovich also recently received a five-year extension with Air Force in late June.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)