Jul 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
In case you’ve been attending too many barbecues and holiday-week functions, the major college basketball news of the week was Butler head coach Brad Stevens taking over the reigns as the next head coach of the Boston Celtics.
The move came as quite a shock to the college basketball world, with Twitter instantly exploding into a frenzy as stories emerged with reactions to the move, how Butler would move on without Stevens, how Stevens might fare in the NBA, and how recruiting might change at Butler.
All speculation about the future aside, it was surely a chaotic week for Stevens and his family.
But as we heard the outpouring of stories and support for Stevens, this story from the Indianapolis Star just might be the very best example of how Brad Stevens truly gets it.
One day after his official press conference introducing him as the new head coach of the NBA’s most storied franchise, Stevens will honor a nearly year-long commitment to Stan Howard — the father of former Butler standout forward Matt Howard — by participating in today’s bicentennial parade in the town of Connersville, Indiana.
Connersville has a population of 13,481 people — according to the 2010 Census — so it would surprise nobody if Stevens had other priorities on his mind with his new gig, but as Howard told the Indy Star, Stevens is a loyal man of his word.
“There’s one side of me that was like, there’s no possible way he’ll be able to make it,” Stan Howard said. “But there’s another side, the side that knows Brad Stevens. If you’re loyal to him, he is loyal to you. Part of me just said, ‘That dude’s going to find a way to get here!’
“It speaks volumes of the man. And it means the world to me.”
Stevens is already at the parade this morning, signing autographs for kids and is sure to receive a hero’s welcome in basketball-crazed Indiana as the parade moves through Connersville.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)