Jul 6, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
College hoops fans have always been sort of the unwanted step-children of the video game world. Fantastic franchises like Madden Football and NBA2K keep pro sports fans happy year-in and year out, and college football fans are well-served as well. But college basketball has never had a truly top-notch franchise, and no company has produced a game for college basketball fans since Electronic Arts made NCAA Basketball 10 in 2009.
A reporter from KXTV asked EA designers about their future plans for college hoops, and they were cagey at best.
Ben Haumiller, the series producer for EA Sports’ NCAA Football franchise, sees a market for it, though he can’t comment definitively on the subject.
“We’re in the college football business – we’ve been in the college basketball business in the past – who knows,” he commented. “I mean, at this point, though, it’s kind of hard to say.”
Heck, that could be the actual motto of the NCAA itself eleven months out of the year. College football drives the bus, as we all know. As a fan of the game, however, I have to say I’ve never really loved any college hoops game I’ve played. Everything from recruiting to gameplay – not to mention the inability to really emulate the atmosphere of the games – fell short, in my opinion.
Emulating and likeness are big issues in the college hoops world right now, too. With Ed O’Bannon’s case growing more teeth by the week, I wouldn’t blame anyone for shying away from adding to their potential liability if O’Bannon is successful in gaining retroactive compensation for athlete likenesses used for profit.
In all honesty, I’ve only ever wanted an NCAA video game to use as a kind of methadone to calm the shakes when real hoops are on hiatus. During the season, there’s nothing like the real thing. If the games come back, hopefully they’ll be higher quality. If not, there’s always the superior gameplay and actual, compensated use of real names and faces of the NBA franchises.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)