Jul 7, 2013, 11:35 AM EST
After receiving a phone call from Rick Pitino on the 4th of July, do you think Leron Black regrets de-committing from Baylor back in early January of 2013?
Being courted by Pitino, as well as trading text messages with Indiana’s Tom Crean certainly is promising for the 6-foot-7 and 5-Star forward from White Station High School in Memphis, TN.
Black describes himself as a “good slasher” who can “grab (the ball) off the wing and knock down shots.”
What I’m really gonna look at is, I’m gonna compare campuses and I’m just gonna see how the coaches are. I wanna be at a school where the coaches are Christians like myself. It’s been a good learning experience. I’ve just been thinking about it for a while. I just need to compare.
Black recently told Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal: “I like them (Indiana) a lot, and I like the way they play. I watched them a lot this year. I loved watching them play this year. I had them winning it all, but you know how that goes. I like the coaching staff over there. … It ain’t too far (from home) either.”
The call he received from Rick Pitino caught him off-guard at first, but it was a welcoming surprise:
I didn’t know who it was when I looked at my phone, and (the caller ID) said Kentucky. So I said, ‘I guess I’m going to answer it.’ He said, ‘Hello, this is Rick Pitino.’ I said, ‘Woo.’ It kind of shocked me. I was excited about it, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity.
Below is Black’s official highlight tape:
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)