Jul 7, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
After receiving a phone call from Rick Pitino on the 4th of July, do you think Leron Black regrets de-committing from Baylor back in early January of 2013?
Being courted by Pitino, as well as trading text messages with Indiana’s Tom Crean certainly is promising for the 6-foot-7 and 5-Star forward from White Station High School in Memphis, TN.
Black describes himself as a “good slasher” who can “grab (the ball) off the wing and knock down shots.”
What I’m really gonna look at is, I’m gonna compare campuses and I’m just gonna see how the coaches are. I wanna be at a school where the coaches are Christians like myself. It’s been a good learning experience. I’ve just been thinking about it for a while. I just need to compare.
Black recently told Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal: “I like them (Indiana) a lot, and I like the way they play. I watched them a lot this year. I loved watching them play this year. I had them winning it all, but you know how that goes. I like the coaching staff over there. … It ain’t too far (from home) either.”
The call he received from Rick Pitino caught him off-guard at first, but it was a welcoming surprise:
I didn’t know who it was when I looked at my phone, and (the caller ID) said Kentucky. So I said, ‘I guess I’m going to answer it.’ He said, ‘Hello, this is Rick Pitino.’ I said, ‘Woo.’ It kind of shocked me. I was excited about it, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity.
Below is Black’s official highlight tape:
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)